PhD Scholarships for Africans
There are various scholarship opportunities open to PhD students from Africa and other developing regions. Below are some of these scholarship opportunities:
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarship: This is open for candidates from least developed countries and fragile States in the Commonwealth, for full-time doctoral study in a UK University.
- Mo Ibrahim Foundation Governance for Development in Africa Initiative (GDAI) 2020 PhD Scholarships in the UK (Fully Funded): Applications are invited for PhD studentship focused on the area of state capacities, governance and bureaucracy for development. Applicants must focus on the public Sector/State/Civil service on governance and development.
- University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship 2020 for study in South Africa (Fully Funded): As part of South Africa’s contribution to the Commonwealth Scholarship and fellowship plan, the University of Pretoria has made funds available for two students coming from any Commonwealth countries excluding South African students. The value of this scholarship is R170,000 per annual.
- Pan African (African Union) University 2019/2020 (Masters & PhD) Scholarship for Africans (fully funded): This is open to young, qualified, talented and enterprising applicants from African countries and the African Diaspora into any of the institutes of the Pan African University.
- PhD Research Fellowships for Developing & Emerging Countries in Switzerland: The Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland offers fellowship programme, open to outstanding young professors from universities from developing and emerging countries in Africa, Asia, or Latin America, pursuing advanced research in areas bridging the fields of international and development studies, broadly defined, and working in disciplines such as anthropology, history, law, politics and political science, and economics.
- CARTA PhD Fellowships for African Researchers: The Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) offers an innovative model for doctoral training in sub-Saharan Africa to strengthen the capacity of participating institutions (in Africa, Europe and America) to conduct and lead internationally-competitive research.
Top International PhD Scholarships
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships in the UK for Developing Countries: The Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan is one of the largest and most prestigious scholarships schemes for international study in the world. Since it was established in 1959, around 30,000 individuals have benefited – 24,000 of them have held awards funded by the United Kingdom, managed by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the United Kingdom (CSC).
- Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA) Fully-funded PhD Scholarships for International Students: The Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA) is a collaboration between the Agency for Science, Technology & Research (A*STAR), the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) to offer PhD training to be carried out in English at your chosen lab at A*STAR Research Institutes, NUS or NTU.
- Rotary Yoneyama Foundation Undergraduate, Masters and PhD Scholarships for International Students: The Rotary Yoneyama Memorial Foundation awards scholarships to overseas students who aspire to study or conduct research in Japanese universities or graduate schools.
- Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships in Canada for Developing Countries: Trudeau Foundation offers Doctoral Scholarships for Canadian Citizens and Foreign Nationals (with preference to developing countries) to study Social Sciences and Humanities at Canadian Universities.
- Cambridge Trust International Scholarship for PhD Students: The University of Cambridge will offer, via the Cambridge Trusts, approximately 250 Cambridge International Scholarships to Overseas Students who embark on a research course in the next academic year.
- DAAD PhD Scholarship Mathematics in Industry and Commerce in Germany 2020: The DAAD scholarship covers the cost of living, travel expenses, a health insurance subsidy, and generous support for accompanying family members. The doctoral programme MIC is designed for three years and always starts in October. A preparatory German course in August and September is funded by the DAAD and is binding. Deadline: January 15th, 2020.
- Eiffel Scholarships in France for International students (Masters/ PhD degree): This Scholarship is sponsored by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. As part of its mandate, it seeks to attract top-quality foreign students from all over the world, especially developing countries, for Masters and PhD program in France.
- Global minds doctoral scholarships programme at KU Leuven (PhD degree).
- Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme for International students (PhD degree).
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International students (Masters/ PhD).
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for foreign students (PhD/ Postdoctoral).
- AAUW International fellowships in the USA for women (Masters/PhD/Postdoctoral).
- One World Scholarship at Afro-Asian Institute Salzburg (Masters/PhD)
Popular Universities PhD Scholarships
- Warwick Chancellor’s International Scholarships (UK): The Warwick Graduate School awards around 25 Chancellor’s International Scholarships to the most outstanding international PhD applicants each year. The scholarships are open to students of any nationality and to any discipline offered at Warwick. The scholarships include the full payment of overseas tuition fees and maintenance allowance.
- Nottingham Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship for Research Excellence (UK): The University of Nottingham offers scholarships for outstanding international students who wish to pursue a PhD or MPhil research programme at the University. The scholarship covers full tuition fees.
- Cambridge International Scholarships; University of Cambridge PhD degree.
- Adelaide Scholarships International; University of Adelaide (Masters/PhD).
A PhD degree is the highest academic degree one can obtain. Asides from helping you make contributions to your field, this degree will really boost your CV and guarantee job opportunities, thereby increasing your income level. A lack of finance shouldn’t hamper this your academic goals. We look forward to hearing about your experience as you key into these scholarship opportunities.
Application opens for PhD scholarships for international students from Africa and developing countries every year. You’ll find research grants for PhD students in Africa, China, Japan, Indonesia, USA, UK, Australia, Belgium to Estonia, Russia, India etc.
Start here to apply for PhD scholarships for African students, developing countries & international students around the world.
United Nations University Masters and PhD Scholarships in Sustainability Science 2022/2023: The UNU’s Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) offers an MSc degree program and a PhD degree program to produce scholars…
Taiwan International Cooperation and Development Fund (Taiwan ICDF) offers Higher Education Scholarship Program for international students to study for Undergraduate (4 years), Masters (2 years) and PhD (4 years) Degrees at renowned…
Applications for the DAAD PhD Programme “Mathematics in Industry and Commerce, MIC” at the Technincal University Kaiserslautern with scholarship funding from the DAAD EPOS programme are open until 15 Jan 2022. When is the Application…
Mauritius Africa Scholarships 2022/2023: As part of its commitment to promote capacity-building at high level across the continent, the Government of Mauritius is awarding scholarships to deserving students who are resident citizens…
Romanian Government Scholarships: The Romanian Government through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs offers Scholarships to foreign citizens to study for Undergraduate, Masters and Doctoral Degrees for the 2022/2023 academic year. …