Microsoft Research AI & Society Fellowship Program 2024.Apply below.
When is Application Deadline:
29th November 2023 (11:59:59 PM ET)
Tell Me About Award:
Microsoft Research AI & Society Fellowship Program 2024. The Microsoft Research AI & Society fellows program aims to catalyze research collaboration between Microsoft Research and eminent scholars and experts across a range of disciplines core to discussions at the intersection of AI and its impact on society.
Microsoft recognizes the value of bridging academic, industry, policy, and regulatory worlds and seeks to ignite interdisciplinary collaboration that drives real-world impact
Who can Apply?
Microsoft is seeking eminent scholars and leading experts from a wide range of fields and disciplines to join a variety of interdisciplinary collaborations focused on key research challenges.
The submission criteria and eligibility guidelines vary by research challenge for this program. Please review the research challenge descriptions and eligibility details below for more information.
In general, our research challenges seek eminent scholars from academia as well as experts from non-academia.
- Leading experts from non-academic disciplines
- Eminent scholars pursuing research and instruction in academic venues
To be eligible to apply, candidates will be required to confirm they are actively pursuing (enrolled in program) or have already earned their terminal degree in their respective field or discipline. A terminal degree is defined as the highest-level college degree that can be achieved within your academic discipline or professional field.
A fellow selected to be a part of the Microsoft Research AI & Society Fellows program is subject to disciplinary proceedings for inappropriate behavior, including but not limited to discrimination, harassment (including sexual harassment), or plagiarism will forfeit their funding.
Microsoft actively seeks to foster greater levels of diversity in our workforce and in our pipeline of future researchers and collaborators. We are always looking for the best and brightest talent and celebrating individuality. We invite candidates to come as they are and do what they love.
How are Applicants Selected?
All proposals should be submitted via the submission portal (see above). Proposals will not be accepted by email.
Each submission will include:
- Candidate information (region, institution, research/work focus, etc.)
- “Statement of Interest” title (80 characters or less)
- Submission of a “Statement of Interest” document.
- This document should be 3 pages (or less) in length, which may include appendix and citations if applicable.
- See additional instructions and guidance in the “Statement of Interest Requirements” section below.
- Candidate CV/resume to be uploaded in the submission portal.
A strong submission will:
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the research challenge and its aims for societal impact.
- Describe relevant work/accomplishments, demonstrate the alignment one’s motivation to the research challenge, and outline the potential impact achieve through collaboration.
- Be clearly written, in alignment with program guidelines.
- Consider that readability and clarity are valued in the review process.
How Many Awards?
What is the Benefit of Award?
The purpose of this program is to support interdisciplinary research collaboration across academia and industry in pursuit of addressing significant research opportunities at the intersection of AI and society.
The fellowship is intended to provide a range of opportunities to collaborate with Microsoft Research to pursue cross-disciplinary discourse and drive impactful research outcomes in a range for formats. Collaboration opportunities will vary by research challenge but may include working sessions meetings, asynchronous collaboration, workshops, events, etc.
Funding amounts vary by the region a fellows’ organization/institution of employment is located in. All funds are distributed as unrestricted gifts as a one-time payment.
- Africa – $15K (USD)
- Australia & New Zealand – $15K (USD)
- Canada – $45K (USD)
- Europe – $15K (USD)
- India – $15K (USD)
- Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan – $15K (USD)
- United States – $45K (USD
The program offers opportunities for fellows from fields beyond core computer sciences to join and support interdisciplinary research conversations with Microsoft Researchers. By facilitating these new collaborations, Microsoft aims to scale the impact of collective research efforts at the intersection of AI & Society.
How Long will Award Last?
- November 2, 2023 | Call for proposals opens globally
- November 29, 2023 (11:59:59 PM ET) | Proposal deadline
- January 30, 2024 | Global announcement of the 2023 Microsoft Research AI & Society Fellows
- February 2024 – February 2025 | Research collaboration between Microsoft Research and selected fellows
How to Apply:
Through a global, open call for proposals targeting a specific set of research challenges, Microsoft will facilitate strategic collaborations, catalyze new research ideas, and contribute publicly available works to benefit scholarly discourse and benefit society more broadly.
The details of the program vary by research challenge. Please review the “Research Challenges” for more information and eligibility, “How to apply” to submit a proposal, and our “FAQ” for answers to commonly asked questions.