UNU-WIDER Research Fellowship in Climate Change 2024. Apply below.
When is Application Deadline:
5th December 2023
Tell Me About UNU-WIDER Research Fellowship in Climate Change:
UNU-WIDER is hiring a Research Fellow based in Helsinki, Finland. As Research Fellow you would establish, develop, and lead a research programme and associated projects, which links climate change, just transition and distributional outcomes in developing countries.
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today, it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as freely available original research. More information on UNU-WIDER and its current work programme are available at www.wider.unu.edu.
Who can Apply?
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD in development economics, environmental sciences, geography or a related discipline with strong quantitative skills.
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible work experience including managing research programmes in academia, research, or related institutions, together with supervisory functions is required; experience in an international setting would be highly advantageous.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the research agenda on just transition in developing countries.
- Recognition by the scientific community, as demonstrated by invitations to editorial boards of journals, Advisory Committees, and keynote speeches.
- Track record of research publications in areas related to climate change and development economics.
- Track record in engagement with policy dialogues and agendas on issues related to just transition, climate change and development.
- Established skills in both project and team management.
- Highly self-motivated, innovative, and organised, yet detail-oriented, with a professional and conscientious attitude and the ability to independently prioritise.
- Willing to travel as required both locally and internationally.
- Strong planning, organisation, and time management skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently.
- An excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills, as demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Good familiarity with organising conferences, workshops, and summer schools, preferably at the intersection of research and policy.
- Experience of work in a low- and middle-income country setting.
- Excellent drafting skills and fluency in both oral and written English.
- Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset.
Where will Award be Taken?
What is the Benefit of Award?
UNU offers an attractive, tax exempt compensation package including an annual net salary and post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance scheme. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include home leave, travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, education grant for dependent children, assignment grant and rental subsidy.
How Long will Award Last?
This is a full-time, fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment will be for one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance.
For academic positions, the combined duration of fixed-term appointments with UNU may not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years.
Expected start date: As soon as possible
How to Apply:
To apply to UNU, you will not need an account. Instead, we ask that you:
- Apply via the apply link;
- fill out the UNU P11 form (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations);
- provide a motivation statement (in the P11 form); and
- answer a few questions that are tailored to the position.
You may wish to refer to the UN Values and Behaviours Framework for more information.
Application Deadline: 5 December 2023