Being a student-athlete can be quite demanding. This is because both sporting activities and academics are quite demanding and require attention and effort. However, there are scholarship opportunities available for student-athletes to help reduce the cost of their education.
Before we explore the various scholarships available for student-athletes, subscribe to our newsletter for more scholarship updates.
Table of Contents
Types of Athletic Scholarships:
We have listed scholarship opportunities open to international student-athletes who want to further their careers:
1. University Of Algarve Sports Scholarship, Portugal
The University of Algarve Sports scholarship is open to international students who want to enhance their careers both academically and sports-wise. The University offers a wide variety of sporting activities for students including swimming, football, tennis, basketball, volleyball, and table tennis. The scholarship is strictly based on merit and it is a partially funded scholarship to help with the cost of education of the awardee. To learn more about the University of Algarve Sports scholarship, click here.
2. Foundation Sports Scholarship at the University of Nottingham, UK
Additionally, international students interested in sports can also apply for the Foundation sports scholarship at the University of Nottingham in the United Kingdom. Students gain access to high-quality teaching, research, and lots of other benefits when they choose to study at the university. Some of the benefits of the scholarship include:
- Sports and fitness membership, specialist facilities, and physiotherapy support with a scholarship value of £2,500.
- The bronze silver and gold package also comes with financial support that ranges from £1,000 to £8,000 and other benefits like mentoring, sports psychology, and nutrition advice which sums up to a total of £4,500 to £13,500.
To learn more about the eligibility criteria and the application process, click here.
3. Race Entry Student Scholarship
Furthermore, the race entry scholarship is open to students who have participated in a race before. It is funded by Race Entry and it is targeted at supporting students who are in pursuit of health and self-improvement through participation in racing activities. However, eligible students must have done either a 5k, 10k, half marathon, marathon or any other race in addition to the eligibility criteria. The values of the scholarship sum up and students will have to submit an essay with the required number of words to register. To learn more about the eligibility criteria and the application process, click here.
4. Auburn University International Students Scholarships
Also, another scholarship open for students who desire to pursue a career in education is the Auburn University International Students Scholarship. International students can pursue a bachelor’s or a master’s program in the following fields Science, Nursing, Health, Education, Liberal Arts, Arts, Social Sciences, and Business at Auburn University, USA. Some of the benefits of the scholarship include:
- Undergrad Warhawk Scholarship: Value: $4,000/year
- International Undergrad AUM Scholarship: Value: $2,000 a year
- International Graduate Warhawk Scholarship: Value: $4,000 a year
- International Graduate Focus Scholarship: Value: up to $10,000 for the complete program
To learn more about the application process for the University of Lapland scholarship in Finland, click here
5. Novo Nordisk Donnelly Award
The Novo Nordisk scholarship is targeted at promoting tennis throughout the United States. It is funded by the United States Tennis Association and the value of the scholarship sums up to $5,000 and $10,000. Also, it is awarded to students who stand out academically and are also excellent in tennis but have been affected by diabetes. To learn more about the eligibility criteria and the application process, click here.
6. Bournemouth University scholarship
The Bournemouth University scholarship is open to international students who have been enrolled and are studying at the university. The student must be a high-performing sportsman and should also have the desire to continue to excel academically and sports-wise. The scholarship value sums up to £500 to £5,000. To learn more about the eligibility criteria and the application process, click here.
7 University of Alberta Physical Education and Recreation International Student-Athlete Award
Additionally, the University of Alberta Physical Education and Recreation International Student-Athelet Award is open to students both international and domestic who are pursuing their undergraduate degrees at the university. The scholarship covers the tuition fees and is funded by the Department of Physical Education and Recreation. To learn more about the eligibility criteria and the application process, click here.
8. Hungary Government (Stipendium Hungaricum) Scholarships
The Hungary Government (Stipendium Hungaricum) Scholarships are open for international students who want to pursue a master’s degree in any subject including sports in Hungary. It is funded by the government in Hungary and is one of the most prestigious scholarships in the European region. Some of the benefits that come with this scholarship include:
- Exemption from tuition fees
- Monthly stipend
- Living expenses
- Accommodation ex[enses
- Medical insurance and so on.
To learn more about the application and eligibility criteria click this link.
9. University of Prince Edward Island Scholarships
Again, the University of Prince Edward Island Scholarships is open to international students who are pursuing their undergraduate degree at the University of Prince Edward Island. It is expected that eligible candidates must be performing well both in academics and sports. The value of the scholarship sums up to CAD$1,000.00 (US$ 730) – CAD$3,000.00 (US$ 2,189) and students must have a Canadian study permit. To learn more about the application and eligibility criteria click this link.
10. MacEwan University Bill Comrie Hockey Scholarships
The MacEwan University Bill Comrie Hockey Scholarship is open to female international students who are currently running an undergraduate degree at the University. The eligible candidate must be in good standing both academically and sports-wise. The scholarship value sums up to CAD$2,500.00 (US$ 1,824). To learn more about the application and eligibility criteria click this link.
Time Management Strategies for student-athletes.
As a student-athlete, time management is of utmost importance because the renewal of scholarship opportunities is also dependent on how the student performs in their academics. Below are some time management tips that can help you manage your time properly as a student-athlete:
- Pay attention to practice: sports are part of what’s sponsoring your education and you must pay attention to practice. Practice makes perfect and for you to succeed in your sports career, ensure you do not miss practice.
- Pay attention to your academics: your CGPA plays a crucial role in the renewal of your scholarship. It’s important that you also schedule time to focus on your academics as you focus on your practice.
- Don’t overtake yourself: for you to be effective, ensure that you don’t overtask or overburden yourself. Ensure that you engage in only important and necessary activities so that you can focus on other aspects.
- Use a Planner: You can also adopt a planner or a calendar to schedule your activities and keep track of time so that you’ll be more effective
- Don’t cut down on sleep: you must pay attention to sleep so as not to overwork yourself and break down in the long run.
- Avoid Procrastination: Additionally, ensure you avoid procrastination so that you don’t have too many pending tasks to attend to in a short while.
Tips for applying for an athletic scholarship as a student.
Also, below are some important things you need to take note of and remember when applying for a scholarship as a student interested in athletics:
- Some athletics scholarships aren’t guaranteed for four years. This means you’ll have to renew if it’s renewable or look out for another funding source for your college.
- Engaging in sporting activities will take your time, so you’ll have to pay attention and ensure you balance it with other aspects of your life.
- Ensure that you meet up with the eligibility requirements. Additionally, ensure that you provide all the information that is requested.
- Get someone to help proofread your application. Do not forget to double-check it to ensure all the answers are accurate.
- Reach out to other people who have applied before to get important tips that can aid your application process.
Do you desire to start a career in STEM? The first thing is to pursue a degree in STEM. Wondering how to go about pursuing a postgraduate degree in STEM courses abroad? We can guide you through your journey and make your dreams come true. Reach out to us at EdXtra to access opportunities that will help you on your journey.
Enrolling in the top universities in the world can increase your chances with employers. Unfortunately, it can be quite expensive to study abroad due to the current economic crisis. But this shouldn’t limit you as there are other options you can explore to enhance your career.
MPower Finance and Prodigy Finance are some of the best student loan providers for international students. They also do not require any cosigner or collateral before application. At EdXtra Associates, we can help you with your loan application process. We also provide educational consultancy services for international students to help make your journey easier and faster. You can reach out to us, as we’d love to guide you through this journey.