United Nations UNHCR Fellowship 2024 (Fully-funded to New York). Apply below.
When is Application Deadline:
30th Dec 2023
Tell Me About United Nations UNHCR Fellowship:
Are you passionate about international relations, refugee issues, and humanitarian response? Do you have a degree in international relations, political sciences, law, or a related field? If so, the UNHCR Fellowship in New York might be the perfect opportunity for you. This fellowship offers recent graduates or 2024-degree candidates the chance to work closely with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and contribute to global humanitarian efforts.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a leading international organization dedicated to protecting the rights and well-being of refugees and displaced persons around the world. UNHCR provides essential support to those forced to flee their homes due to conflict, persecution, or other crises.
As a UNHCR Fellow, you will have the unique opportunity to work in New York and play a vital role in advancing UNHCR’s mission. Here are some of the key responsibilities and activities you will be involved in:
- Attend and report on assigned meetings promptly.
- Support UNHCR’s engagement with humanitarian, development, and other UN bodies and processes.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on key developments related to issues affecting UNHCR’s operations.
- Stay informed about UNHCR’s global operations and policies, facilitating smooth information flow.
- Promote UNHCR’s objectives through participation in briefings and inter-agency meetings.
- Advocate for the inclusion of UNHCR positions in UN policies.
- Follow and report on relevant negotiations and high-level events.
- Conduct research on topics of relevance and interest.
- Support UNHCR’s participation in international and bilateral forums in New York.
- Assist in planning and organizing public events.
Who can Apply for United Nations UNHCR Fellowship?
To be eligible for this fellowship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a 2024-degree candidate or recent graduate from a UNESCO-accredited university.
- Hold a degree in international relations, political sciences, law, or a related field.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to international relations, refugee issues, and humanitarian response.
- Possess fluency in English with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be proficient in PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Teams.
Funding and Medical Insurance:
Selected candidates are required to demonstrate a guaranteed funding source for the one-year period of the fellowship. Additionally, candidates must arrange and provide proof of valid medical insurance covering the fellowship period.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color, ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member or engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
Which Countries are Eligible?
Where will Award be Taken?
New York, USA
How Many Awards?
What is the Benefit of United Nations UNHCR Fellowship?
Training and Learning Components:
During your fellowship, you will have access to a range of training courses, including security, prevention of harassment, protection, and more. You will also have regular meetings with your supervisor to reflect on your experiences and learning opportunities.
Through your daily work, you will gain valuable insights into UNHCR and UNHQ structure and processes, develop drafting and analytical skills, and engage in professional networking at an international level. You will also have the opportunity to work on research projects related to UNHCR’s mandate.
How Long will Award Last?
6 months beginning January 2, 2024
How to Apply:
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process, and applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
We especially welcome applications from candidates with a refugee or stateless background who can bring unique perspectives to our team.