The Africa Initiative for Governance (AIG) Scholarships Programme targets graduates between the ages of 25 and 35, some of whom may have work experience. They will be exceptionally intelligent graduates who have excelled academically as well as in other areas of their lives.
Table of Contents
15th September 2023
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Nigeria and Ghana
To Be Taken At (Country): Blavatnik School of Government (BSG), University of Oxford, UK
Field of Study: Master of Public Policy
About the Award:
Building Africa’s future leaders
The AIG Scholarships were launched in 2017 to provide a unique opportunity for exceptional West Africans interested in a career in public service to pursue a Master of Public Policy at the Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford. Since 2017, twenty nine scholarships worth over £50,000 each have been awarded to future public sector leaders who have demonstrated a passion for the public sector.
AIG Scholars spend the year at one of the world’s top universities, gaining knowledge from the outstanding academic faculty and expert practitioners and interacting with other future public sector leaders from around the world. After completing their degrees, scholars return to their countries and use their learnings to bolster policymaking, support reforms and contribute to their nation’s development.
Who can aPPLY?
- Be a Nigerian currently working in the public sector (Ministries, Departments, Agencies & Parastatals) at either Federal or State levels
- Aged between 25 and 45 years
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years (combined private & public sector) work experience
- Have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of second-class upper qualification
- Academic and analytical excellence
- Strong commitment to public service
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and resultant impact
- Impeccable moral character
Number of Awards: 5
Value of Award:
The AIG Scholarships are fully funded covering fees, accommodation and living expenses, does not cover travel or visa expenses however.
- Financial Support • Funding will be provided for tuition, living expenses, and a stipend for a summer project.
- Coaching and Mentoring • Extensive coaching and mentoring will be offered to help scholars navigate their time at Oxford and make the most of the experience.
- Career Development • AIG Scholars will receive full support to map out their career development paths and access opportunities that are aligned with their areas of interest and that leverage the knowledge gained at Oxford
AIG Scholars will embark on summer placements during which they will gain additional knowledge and experience of their areas of interest and build their global networks.
Duration of Program: 1 year
How to Apply:
Schedule and Application:
- Friday, 15 September 2023: Deadlines for applications to the AIG Scholarships
- Saturday, 23 September 2023: Invitation for Computer-Based Tests
- Thursday 5 – Thursday 12 October 2023: Essay Submissions
- Wednesday 25 – Monday 30 October 2023: Video Interviews
- December 2023: Final Selections
- Friday 5 January 2024: Deadline for MPP Applications
- May 2024: Pre-departure Orientation
To apply for the 2024/2025 AIG Scholarships, click the link below.