We are pleased to announce the Call for Applications for the “AGNES-BAYER Science Foundation Research Grant for Biodiversity Conservation & Sustainable Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa”.
Application Deadline: 30th June, 2021 at 00.00 GMT.
About the Award:
This grant is funded by the BAYER Foundation with the support of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH), Federal Republic of Germany. The Grant is for Junior Researchers (PhD students) and aims to strengthen the scientific capacity of young scholars in Africa.
The AGNES-BAYER Science Foundation Research Grant for Biodiversity Conservation & Sustainable Agriculture in sub-Saharan Africa enables doctoral students from sub-Saharan African countries to undertake outstanding research activities in Biodiversity conservation and sustainable agriculture.
The proposed activities must be part of the doctoral research, including but not limited to field experiment and data collection or laboratory studies. Eligible junior researchers need to demonstrate the relevance of their work to further development of their home countries in sub-Sahara Africa. The Grant aims to support African PhD students for field work activities. A maximum Grant of EUR 7000 will be awarded to each successful applicant.
Who can apply?
Direct applications from junior researchers having published at least 1 scientific paper (in a non-predatory journal) will be considered for the grant. The applicant should be working in the field of Biodiversity conservation and/or Sustainable Agriculture. Candidate must be officially registered for a Doctoral degree at a university/tertiary institute in sub-Sahara Africa and a national of a sub-Saharan African country. Applicants must demonstrate clearly that their work is relevant to development in sub-Saharan African countries.
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan African countries
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Euros 7000.
- This once-off Grant cannot be used to refund previous field work activities. The recipient of the Grant and her/his supervisor must both send a signed letter of acceptance and contractual agreement to the Governing Board of AGNES within seven days of receipt of the offer. On completion of the PhD, Grantees and supervisors are both expected to make reports to AGNES on the progress and success of the work (scientific publications).
How to Apply:
Complete applications must include the following:
a) A short research/project proposal (not more than 5 pages) from the junior scientist (applicant) with a short outline of the proposed work activities and a schedule for achieving the objectives of the research project.
b) A standard CV of the applicant (use the AGNES template attached to this call).
c) Official proof of registration for the postgraduate degree (only current Doctoral students are eligible).
d) A copy of the official Academic transcripts reflecting the grades obtained in the undergraduate and any postgraduate study. Please supply the official explanation of the grading system.
e) A list of published articles in non-predatory journals (include an e-copy the first page showing the title, authors and the abstract).
f) A detailed budget of the planned activities.
How to Submit Your Application
The submission will follow two steps:
- Step 1: You have to fill the application form by clicking on the link below: https://ee.kobotoolbox.org/single/d4f3f8c867beb3019e3454443195bbd7
- Step 2: You have to send the required documents by e-mail using the following format:
From: Candidate’s email address
To: [email protected] and [email protected]
Cc: and [email protected]
Subject: “AGNES-BAYER Science Foundation Research Grant for Biodiversity Conservation & Sustainable Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa”
- All the required documents listed in above, preferably in PDF format.
- All supporting documents must be labelled with your surname.
- All files (TOTAL) size should not be more than 8 MB.
Please find attached my application for the “2023_AGNES-BAYER Research Grant for Biodiversity Conservation & Sustainable Agriculture in sub-Saharan Africa”.
Candidate’s name and address
For more details please download the application documents and conditions
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.