Canon Collins Trust in partnership with Sol Plaatje Educational Project seeks to support exceptional individuals who are committed to social justice in Southern Africa and for whom a postgraduate qualification is an essential tool in working to create an open and just society.
Application Deadline: 29th August 2023 3:00 pm GMT
Eligible Field(s): In 2024, we will be making awards only to those studying in three areas:
1. Justice, which includes Climate Justice, Law, Economics and Politics
2. Education policy and practice
3. Humanities, which includes Literature, History, Anthropology and the Arts
Please only apply if your programme of study falls into one of these disciplines.
Interdisciplinary courses and doctoral studies may sometimes defy easy categorisation. Applicants are urged to use their judgement in assessing whether to apply. But applications that clearly do not fall within these areas (for example MBAs, medical sciences, sports sciences and applied sciences) will not be considered for an award.
In 2024, climate justice will be a priority. Climate Justice related scholarship applications may be in a science or applied science field as long as the application can demonstrate its relevance to climate justice related matters.
Eligibility: To be considered for a scholarship under this programme you must:
- be a national of, or have refugee status in, one of the following countries: Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
- be normally resident in one of the above countries
- be in possession of a good first degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application
- be studying or applying to study at a South African university
Please apply only if you are eligible and meet ALL of the above criteria.
Please download and read the guidelines carefully before applying for this scholarship.
Eligible Countries: Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
To be Taken at (Country): South Africa
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- In 2024, the value of the scholarship package will range from R20,000 to R100,000 depending on student circumstances. We support both full and part-time Masters and PhD level study at a South African university and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning.
- We also organise an annual conference for current scholars, and hold several smaller events throughout the year. Scholarship holders are expected to participate in these activities and to become part of and contribute to our network.
How to Apply: We are now accepting applications. You can access the online application form through the link below.
Please do not email us to ask about the outcome of your application. All notifications will be by email so please make sure you provide an accurate email address. We will be interviewing shortlisted applicants in October/November 2023. We will let you know the outcome of your application in December 2023.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.