Goethe-Institut, in collaboration with the African Leadership University School of Business (ALUSB), is accepting applications for its 2023 AI to Amplify Fellowship Programme. Apply below.
Table of Contents
When is Application Deadline?
20th March 2023
The Fellowship Programme starts in May 2023 and ends in August or September 2023 with the presentation of the products and/or the project at a conference in the Global North.
SEE BELOW FOR THE TIMETABLE
Tell Me About Award:
Are you involved with products or applications that use artificial intelligence? Are you interested in ethical issues and in making products and applications more inclusive and sustainable? Do you like working in international interdisciplinary teams and enjoy changing perspectives? Then apply for our two-month online Fellowship Programme “AI to Amplify”, consisting of seminars, networking events and workshops, starting in May 2023. The programme is free of charge. There is no age limit, applications can be submitted by persons from 18 years of age. We welcome applications from coders and developers from the Global North and Global South, but also from philosophers, artists, sociologists, lawyers and activists. We aim for a good mix of teams, which means we explicitly encourage women, queer people, people with disabilities, people without a degree and people with diverse professional backgrounds to apply.
What Countries are Eligible?
- Global North: USA, UK, Japan, France, Spain, Belgium, Israel, South Africa, Norway, Italy and Sweden.
- Global South: the rest of Africa, India, Mexico, China, Brazil, Indonesia, Thailand etc.
Who is Eligible?
- Applicants from the age of 18 years and above are welcome, regardless of their professional background.
- The programme welcomes applications from coders and developers from the Global North and Global South, but also from artists, philosophers, sociologists, lawyers and activists.
- It also aims to encourage a good mix of teams, which means that individuals without degrees, with disabilities, women, queer people and people with diverse professional backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How are Applicants Selected?
- A jury will select 80 participants from all applications received.
- The programme coordinators will then put together diverse teams and operate in two groups of 40 people each due to the different time zones.
- Online sessions will take place twice a week for two hours each.
- Applicants will receive a notification of the outcome of their application at the end of March. Further organisational details will be announced at that time.
How many Awards?
What is Value of Award?
- Participating in the programme provides the opportunity to meet social activists, gain new perspectives and network internationally.
- Participants can contribute their ideas and perspectives to the development of community-oriented products and applications and further develop them in teams.
- The programme includes a two-week hackathon where ideas for AI applications are developed in diverse teams.
- Six winning teams will receive seed money to further develop their prototypes and present them at a conference in the Global North.
- After a second selection process, two winning teams will receive €10 000 ($10 600) seed money for the further realisation of their product idea or prototype.
Call for applications for coders and developers from the Global North and the Global South in cooperation with local coding initiatives. Applications from philosophers, artists, sociologists, lawyers and civil society actors are also welcome.
Start of the two-month online Fellowship Programme, consisting of seminars, networking events and workshops. The focus is on the exchange between the participants and the sensitization for questions of ethics and inclusion through the invitation of international speakers who illuminate the topic of artificial intelligence from different perspectives. The participants should inform each other about local needs and identify a relevant topic in their project location.
Two-week hackathon in which ideas for AI applications are developed in diverse teams. Selection of six ideas/teams for further development.
August or September 2023:
Invitation of the six teams to a physical meeting in connection with an AI conference in the Global South to network with each other, sharpen the product idea, deal with the local conditions and participate in the conference.
Further development phase to expand the idea within the six teams, supported by a stipend and regular online coaching. Pitching of product ideas at the end of the development phase and selection of two proposals for further funding. Presentation of these products and/or the project at a conference in the Global North.
How to Apply?
Applications are ongoing here