Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking 2022 – call for expression of interest for the selection of the members of Scientific Committee
The Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking (GH EDCTP3 JU) is a partnership between the European Union and the European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) Association whose members are several EU Member States and Associated countries and several African countries. Apply below
When is the Application Deadline:
15th February 2022.
Tell Me About Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking:
The Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking (GH EDCTP3 JU) builds on the first and second European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership programmes. This new joint undertaking is a partnership between the EU and the EDCTP Association, whose members are several European and African countries.
To decide on its scientific priorities and achieve its objectives, the GH EDCTP3 is to be advised by a Scientific Committee and other advisory bodies. The call for expression of interest for the selection of the members of the Scientific Committee is now open and will close on 15 February 2022.
Building on the positive experience of the previous EDCTP programmes, the GH EDCTP3 JU intends to:
- Reduce the socio-economic burden of infectious diseases in sub-Saharan Africa by promoting the development and uptake of new or improved health technologies;
- Increase health security in sub-Saharan Africa and globally by strengthening the research and innovation-based capacities for preparedness and response to control infectious diseases.
The Scientific Committee of the GH EDCTP3 JU has the following tasks:
(a) advise on the scientific priorities to be addressed in the work programmes including on scope of calls for proposals, in line with the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda and the Horizon Europe strategic planning;
(b) advise on the scientific achievements to be described in the annual activity report;
(c) suggest, in view of the progress of the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda and individual actions, corrective measures or re-orientations to the governing board, where necessary;
(d) provide independent advice and scientific analysis on specific issues as requested by the governing board, in particular as regards developments in adjacent sectors or to support the assessment of applications of potential associated members and contributing partners;
(e) assist in the design of the strategic and scientific planning of the activities of the Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking;
(f) advise on strategies to foster synergies and partnerships with all stakeholders;
(g) contribute to the preparation of strategic and scientific documents relevant to the Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking, as required;
(h) provide strategic and scientific advice to the Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking and ensure the successful completion of on-going projects;
(i) identify strategic needs and priorities for accelerating the development of new or improved clinical interventions, including the required training, networking and capacity building to be undertaken to achieve those objectives;
(j) review the landscape of poverty-related and neglected diseases to identify the Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking’s role in partnership with other stakeholders to accelerate the development or improvement of interventions against those diseases;
(k) assess the state of global product development pathways and the critical path opportunities for future product development;
(l) provide advice on the review of any calls for proposals and other programmes;
(m)provide support and input on the monitoring and evaluation framework of the Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking, as well as in the monitoring of scientific outcomes and strategic impacts of the grants funded by the Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking;
(n) advise, assist and participate in Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking working groups, stakeholder meetings, EDCTP Forum and other relevant events.
What Type of Scholarship is this?
Who can apply for Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking?
The Governing Board of the GH EDCTP3 JU will take the following criteria into account when assessing applications:
Candidate Members of the Scientific Committee shall meet the following essential eligibility criteria:
• University degree in a relevant scientific area, preferably at post-graduate level;
• At least five years of professional experience in the relevant scientific area after having obtained the above mentioned degree;
Candidate Members of the Scientific Committee shall meet the following specific eligibility criteria:
- (a) Proven competence and expertise in at least one of the following areas:
- Product development and clinical research in infectious diseases affecting sub-Saharan Africa including HIV, tuberculosis, malaria, neglected infectious diseases, lower respiratory tract infections, diarrhoeal diseases, emerging and re-emerging infections, antimicrobial resistance as well as related co-morbidities
- Epidemic preparedness research and response
- Early warning, risk assessment and surveillance of emerging infectious diseases, climate crisis-related infectious disease and antimicrobial resistance
- Drug and vaccine development, as well as immunisation research for infectious diseases with a focus on poverty-related infectious diseases and neglected tropical diseases
- Epidemiological research on infectious diseases
- Implementation research for medical interventions in low and middle income countries, in particular in sub-Saharan Africa
- Clinical trial design and operations, biostatistics
- Clinical pharmacology and pharmacokinetics
- Mathematical modelling for infectious diseases and clinical health research
- Clinical research ethics
- Regulatory affairs & pharmacovigilance
- Training and capacity development of researchers in clinical trial research in lowresource settings
- Capacity building for medical research in developing countries
- Social science, community engagement and gender balance in research in low-resource settings
- Health research systems and policy, translation of research findings into policy guidelines and adoption within public health systems
- Health research data sharing, data access and governance
- (b) Very good command of written and spoken English.
In addition, a record of previous participation in other scientific and/or technological advisory bodies, demonstrating the ability to look for consensus and to provide synthetic, wide-spectrum analyses would be considered an asset.
European Commission staff, including external staff working for the Commission, staff of the Joint Research Centre, officials of Member States, and of national, regional or local authorities shall not be eligible.
Persons who are employed by an organisation that is member of the Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking or who are employed directly by the Joint Undertaking shall not be eligible.
The Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking shall reserve the right to request any necessary documentary evidence it deems fit and relevant in order to verify the applicants’ skills and knowledge.
How Many Positions will be Given?
- There shall be a balanced representation of experts among the members of the Scientific Committee, within the scope of the activities of the Joint Undertaking, including with respect to gender and geographical balance. Collectively, the members of the Scientific Committee shall have the necessary competences and expertise covering the technical domain in order to make science-based recommendations to the joint undertaking, taking into account the climate, environmental and socioeconomic impact of such recommendations and the objectives of the joint undertaking.
- The Scientific Committee shall ensure the inclusion of scientific expertise from African countries.
- The Scientific Committee will have fifteen to eighteen Members. Through this call for Expression of Interest a short-list of candidates will be constituted to fill the available seats on the Scientific Committee.
- In order to fill seats that may fall vacant, a reserve list of up to thirty candidates for membership in the GH EDCTP3 JU Scientific Committee will also be constituted.
What is the Benefit of Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking?
The same rules on appointment, reimbursement of costs and allowances, applicable to external experts according to the rules of the European Commission shall apply to the members of the Scientific Committee.
How Long will the Program Last?
The Governing Board of the GH EDCTP3 JU shall appoint the members of the Scientific Committee for a three year period. They shall remain in office until replaced or until the end of their term of office, whichever is earlier. Upon recommendation by the Executive Director, the Governing Board may decide to renew the appointment for an additional period of two years.
The approved reserve list shall be valid for the duration of the term, including any subsequent renewal, of the appointed Scientific Committee. In case of a vacancy, the Governing Board shall, subject to continuing eligibility in terms of the criteria presented in section 5, select a new member from the reserve list for a period of three years or for the rest of the duration of the term of the Scientific Committee, whichever is the shortest.
How to Apply for Global Health EDCTP3 Joint Undertaking:
Applications must be completed in one of the official languages of the European Union.
However, applications in English would facilitate the evaluation procedure. If another language is used, it would be helpful to include a summary of the application in English.
An application will be deemed admissible only if it is sent by the deadline and includes:
• A cover letter explaining the candidate’s motivation for applying and how the applicant fulfulls the criteria set out below.
• A curriculum vitae (CV)
The duly signed applications must be sent by 15 February 2022 23:59:00 hrs at the latest to the following e-mail address:
The date of the e-mail will be the date of sending.