African Union–European Union Africa D4D Journalism Competition 2022
Africa D4D Journalism Competition 2022: The African Union – European Union (AU-EU) Digital for Development (D4D) Hub is proud to host the first Africa D4D Journalism Competition.
When is the Application Deadline:
28th February 2022
Tell Me About Africa D4D Journalism Competition:
The competition is open to all African journalists who use online media to report on the impact of digital technologies on people’s lives across the African continent, and the policies needed to reap their benefits for sustainable and inclusive development. We are seeking high-quality and in-depth stories that contribute to raise awareness on the importance of building a digital economy and society that leaves no one behind.
What Type of Scholarship is this?
Who can apply for Africa D4D Journalism Competition?
To participate in the competition, journalists are invited to send an in-depth article or reportage on one of the following subjects:
- Connectivity: Opportunities and challenges to increase internet coverage across the continent and close the urban-rural divide.
- Digital skills: Innovative solutions for the African population (including youth and women) to build the skills and expertise needed to access jobs and participate in the digital economy.
- Digital entrepreneurship: How to support local digital entrepreneurship ecosystems for internet-enabled businesses to grow, create jobs, and contribute to sustainable development.
- e-Governance: Opportunities and challenges for governments to offer online services to the population.
- e-Commerce: Potential and barriers to online trading of goods and services, including across borders.
- Digital financial services: Measures to improve access to online banking, including payments, credit, savings, remittances, and insurance.
- Cybersecurity: How to tackle digital threats and malicious cyber activities and reduce vulnerabilities.
- Privacy and data protection: How to strengthen a rights-based approach to internet users’ privacy and data protection.
The submitted articles/reportages should have already been published in an online media.
How are Applicants Selected?
The winning entry will be selected by a jury composed of representatives of the implementing partners of the AU-EU D4D Hub. The following criteria will be taken into consideration:
- Objectivity: The story must cite several reliable sources and provide different points of view. It is based on facts and strong research.
- Relevance: It must present an issue that is important for the population and has potential major repercussions on society.
- Clarity: It must be well-structured and communicate a concise message.
- Principles: It must show commitment to a human-centric digital transformation that contributes to sustainable and inclusive development in Africa.
Which Countries are Eligible?
How Many Scholarships will be Given?
What is the Benefit of Africa D4D Journalism Competition?
The winner will be invited to join the delegation of the AU-EU D4D Hub that will travel to Estonia* to attend the e-Governance Conference, to be held on 10-12 May 2022.
The costs to be covered by the AU-EU D4D Hub project include:
- Economy-class round-ticket from country of origin to Tallinn through the most direct route
- Tourist visa fees
- Mandatory COVID-19 tests**
- Accommodation (for three days)
- Allowance to cover meals and local transport
- Ticket to enter the conference (for three days)
The winning entry and two other finalists will receive a certificate.
How to Apply for Africa D4D Journalism Competition:
Submit a story