USAID IREX Reciprocal Exchanges 2022 for Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni & US
Applications for USAID IREX Reciprocal Exchanges 2022 are now open. An opportunity that can strengthen lasting partnerships, expand markets and networks, and increase mutual understanding between the United States and Africa.
When is the Application Deadline:
13th October 2021
Tell Me About USAID IREX Reciprocal Exchanges 2022:
The U.S. Department of State and IREX are pleased to announce that applications for the Reciprocal Exchange component are being accepted through October 13, 2021.
The goal of the Reciprocal Exchange component of the Mandela Washington Fellowship is to provide opportunities for U.S. professionals and Fellowship Alumni to form lasting partnerships, expand markets and networks, and increase mutual understanding between the United States and countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
What Type of Scholarship is this?
Who is Eligible?
U.S. professionals participating in the Reciprocal Exchange must be U.S. citizens currently living in the United States. U.S. professionals may not be employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. Government (including a U.S. embassy, USAID, or other U.S. Government entity).
Fellowship Alumni must be considered Alumni of the Fellowship by the U.S. Department of State. They may not be employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. Government. Fellowship Alumni must reside in the proposed project country and be present for the full duration of the project’s implementation. Fellowship Alumni must also fill out the Fellowship Alumni contact information form if they have not done so in the last year.
Fellowship Alumni from all cohorts are eligible to apply.
IREX reserves the right to verify all information included in the application. In the event of a discrepancy, or information is found to be false, the application will be declared invalid and the applicant ineligible. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. IREX reserves the right to offer partial funding to selected recipients.
- Hybrid Reciprocal Exchange: Hybrid Reciprocal Exchange projects aim to conduct in-person activities in the Fellowship Alumni Collaborator’s community with the U.S. professional participating virtually via Zoom or another platform. In-person activities should be conducted in accordance with local COVID-19 mitigation guidelines, and precautions should be outlined in the work plan.
- Virtual Reciprocal Exchange: Virtual Reciprocal Exchange projects take place entirely on a virtual platform such as Zoom or Microsoft Teams. There should be no in-person activities. Virtual projects are ideal for implementation in sub-Saharan African countries with a high level of risk for in-person activities, or for activities that are easily conducted virtually.
Which Countries are Eligible?
African countries & United States of America
How Many Scholarships will be Given?
What is the Benefit of USAID IREX Reciprocal Exchanges?
- The Reciprocal Exchange component provides funds for U.S. citizens and Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni to implement virtual or hybrid-model collaborative projects.
- U.S. professionals may include those met during the Mandela Washington Fellowship through networking, the Leadership Institutes, the Summit, Professional Development Experiences, or other activities.
- Through these projects, U.S. professionals and young African leaders form lasting partnerships, expand markets and networks, and increase mutual understanding between the United States and countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
How Long will the Program Last?
January 17 – September 30, 2022
How to Apply for USAID IREX Reciprocal Exchanges:
- Reciprocal Exchange Application Guidelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Required Application Documents
- Reciprocal Exchange Application Form
- Please note that both the U.S. professional and the AlumnI Collaborator must each submit an application form by the deadline for the application to be considered complete.
- Work plan template and guidelines
- Budget template and guidelines
- Resume (must be submitted in English and no longer than two pages)
- Reciprocal Exchange Application Form