Binghamton University – Tuition, Cost Of Living, Acceptance Rate and Scholarships
Located in New York, Binghamton University is a top public university in the world. Similarly, it offers education to students with an international perspective. Also, it is one of the most vibrant research universities in the US.
The university is one of the four university centres in the state of New York system. It was formerly called Triple Cities College between 1946 and 1950. Again, it was called Harpur College between 1950 and 1965. This shows that the school has evolved from a small liberal art college to a great research institution. In essence, it has a very high research activity.
Coupled with the low cost of living in upstate New York, Binghamton is the best place for you to study. Again, studying in school gives you the privilege to become part of the solution to the world’s most pressing issues. The reason is not far-fetched though. Binghamton offers economically viable courses that are worth every investment.
Without much ado, we have compiled everything about Binghamton in this article. Most assuredly, you will not regret every time invested in reading through.
Overview of Binghamton University
Founded in 1946, Binghamton University is a public school in a suburban region of Binghamton. Uniquely, it has a total undergraduate enrollment of 14,165, with a size of 930 acres.
Amazingly, the school has over 300 student organisations. It also organises annual student events. These include University Fes and Spring Fling, outdoor celebrations that involve carnival rides and foods.
In addition to that, freshmen must live on campus. Considerably, living in the school housing offers the opportunity of free laundry too. Over 90% of freshmen students remain at Binghamton after freshman year. That is to say, the school is one of the top schools with the highest retention rate in the country.
Highly ranked programmes at the university include the Department of History, Department of Public Administration and the Department of Psychology. Furthermore, it is famed for its energy sustainability.
What is Binghamton University known for?
Knowing what an institution stands for will help your decision on whether to attend it or not. As such, Binghamton University has made a name for itself over the years. Hence, you cannot talk about New York or SUNY without mentioning Binghamton. This is a huge success attained over time.
Unlike some institutions, this university is a world-class academic institution. It offers a wide range of interdisciplinary training. Most importantly, it does so with an international perspective. It also qualifies as one of the most vibrant research institutions the nation can boast of.
More so, the school adopts an inclusive community where all aspects of college life are infused. This is evident in the way students from over 100 countries flock in for admission.
In addition, the school prides itself on owning modern facilities that aid teaching and learning. As a result, students receive their education with practical experiences.
Furthermore, the school does not joke about the safety of its students. It considers every student a priority. In that regard, it puts in place, complete programmes and measures. The essence is to help every member of the Binghamton University community remain safe.
If you are a sports enthusiast, you may likely be engrossed with the various outdoor events taking place in Binghamton. You can often get a free ticket to any of the games hosted in the Event Centre. Most importantly, the school has received numerous awards for having the best athletes. Not to forget, it belongs to the Division 1 American East Conference.
In case you might be wondering, Binghamton University does not run an online programme. You should register as a full-time, on-campus student.
Binghamton University Ranking
Schools are ranked based on certain factors. Among them is their performance by a set of acceptable pointers of excellence. Below is the SUNY’s ranking of Binghamton University:
- #88 in National Universities (tie)
- #61 in Best Value Schools
- #98 in Top Performers on Social Mobility (tie)
- #34 in Top Public Schools (tie)
- #118 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programmes (tie)
Academic Life at Binghamton University
There are 47.8% of the classes that have less than 20 students in the school. As a result, the student-faculty ratio is 19:1. Besides, the student satisfaction rate at Binghamton University is 91%. Then, the most popular programmes are psychology, neuroscience, biology / biological sciences, economics and accounting. It also has a 4-year graduation rate of 71%.
Furthermore, the school offers the following degree programmes: bachelor’s, master’s, post master’s, professional practice and doctorate programmes. Sadly, it does not offer any online bachelor’s programme.
Undergraduate Programmes at Binghamton
From robotics to the cinema to sustainable energy and social justice, undergraduate students are constantly faced with new challenges and courses. There are over 130 majors, minors, certificates, concentrations, etc. in Binghamton. All you need for your success to make a resounding noise has been packaged for you.
Some of the programmes include:
- Business Administration
- Chain management
- Chinese studies
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- French Language and Literature
- Geological Sciences
- Human Development
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Mathematical Sciences
- Philosophy, Politics and Law
- Theatre: Acting and Directing
- Women Gender and Sexuality Studies, etc.
Admission Information at Binghamton
If you are planning to in the university, you must consider the following:
- GPA requirements: the average GPA at Binghamton University is 3.7. This means you must be above average for you to be admitted into the school. You will need a blend of A’s and B’s, though A’s must be more. However, if your GPA is below 3.7, you will need a higher SAT or ACT score to make it up. On average, the SAT score of Binghamton University is 1375/1600. This means that the is moderately competitive for SAT scores.
- The to get admission into Binghamton is 41.08%.
- You are expected to deposit a non-refundable application fee of $75 as an international student.
- You will be required to pay $1,500 per year for health insurance.
- The admission deadline for early action is November 1, whereas that of regular action is March 15.
- You can apply directly online through the school or Common Application.
Basic requirements for admission application:
- Apply online. Only one application is needed.
- Check your email and activate your password. You will receive an email, stating your Reference Number and User ID. Once it happens, you will be able to activate your password.
- Submit your transcripts. You must submit an official transcript. Besides, the transcript must detail your most recent three years of education. It will also entail the list of all courses you attended and their grades. The transcript must be in English too. Moreover, an official transcript must be sent directly to Binghamton University by a school officer. It could be sent through application, email or mail. You can visit the school website for more information on this.
- Complete the SAT/ACT test-optional form. The school does not need SAT/ACT scores. It is not compulsory but you can submit it.
- Show proof of English Language proficiency. You must submit at least one test score that proves your English proficiency. All test scores must not exceed two years. you can submit TOEFL, IELTS, iBT, Duolingo, SAT, ACT, etc.
Recommended Video: Top 10 Courses to Study in USA In 2021
What is Binghamton University Acceptance Rate?
The school is more selective and has an acceptance rate of 41%. It also has an early acceptance rate of 63.8%. That is to say that the majority of the students who send in their applications are rejected.
That being said, it does not stop thousands of applicants from sending in their applications each year. However, you will also need to note that some students have higher acceptance rates. This happens mainly to Early Action applicants. Although the rate of acceptance is 43%, it is a remarkable offer.
Moreover, your academic performance in high school is highly important. To get better, consider taking challenging classes and performing well. In addition, the school also considers such factors as your recommendation letters, essay and extracurricular activities.
It is also important to note that Binghamton does accept transfer students. The good news there is that the acceptance rate for transfer students is the same as freshman students. Therefore, you will need to keep your grades high and improve your academic performance.
Another reason for acceptance is your location. New York residents have more chances of getting admitted than out-of-state residents. This is not to discourage you, anyway. However, working hard to meet other criteria is a step taken in the right direction.
What is the cost of attending Binghamton University?
The total price of attending Binghamton University varies depending on your residence. For instance, a New York resident will pay a lesser fee than an international student. Also, a heavy spender will need more money than a moderate person.
Here is the annual budget for 2021-2022 tuition and other fees. Note that, the budget is subject to change.
|Annual budget||New York state resident||Out-of-state resident||International resident|
|Housing and meals||$17,064||$17,064||$17,064|
|Cost of attendance||$29,383||$47,223||$49,944|
Financial Aid and Other Information
The estimated cost of budgeting is based on Direct and Indirect costs. Direct costs are the costs that are seen on your tuition bill. They include tuition, fees, housing and meal plans. Similarly, indirect costs include other educational costs. These include books, supplies, insurance, travel, etc.
To calculate financial aid and the cost of schooling, the school uses nine months of attendance. However, if you will attend the summer session, the school calculates based on a 12-month plan.
If you also live off-campus, the calculation will vary based on many factors. For instance, the cost of housing will be on a 12-month basis. Also, you are likely to spend more if you live off-campus. Therefore, you must put such into consideration.
For an international student, you are not eligible for federal or state funding. Moreover, if you need to attend with a student visa, you must submit an international student financial statement. This is coupled with an official bank statement that proves your financial ability. As a result, your official bank statement will prove that you can meet up with all expenses.
Scholarships at Binghamton University
All students of the university stand a chance of earning a scholarship. However, there are criteria for scholarship consideration. Such criteria are academic excellence, donor choice, major, programme participation and financial need. Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) determines the scholarship condition. As a result:
- Most Binghamton scholarships take place in the spring of the coming year. Besides, there is no separate application to qualify for it. The school will notify you if you qualify for any scholarship. And this happens during the admission process.
- The school includes scholarships as part of the financial aid award package. Therefore, it cannot be more than the budgeted cost of attending school.
- Your financial need as a student can qualify you for a scholarship. For that reason, you must submit the FAFSA before January 1.
Here are the available scholarships by Binghamton University:
- President’s, Provost’s and Dean’s Scholarships. The scholarship is based on academic merit (a cumulative of 3.0 GPA or more). It can be renewed for some years. Again, you must meet other specific criteria for the offer.
- Other scholarships are the US Department of Labour scholarship; the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), etc.
You may also like: scholarships-in-usa-for-african-developing-countries
In the same vein, a few scholarships are available to graduate students. all students can receive departmental funding. Moreover, most of the scholarships are in form of stipends. In some cases too, they receive tuition scholarships. This only covers several credit hours.
International students are required to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for more information on the available scholarships.
Finally, students can apply for external scholarships in form of academic and research assistantships, fellowships and scholarships. However, they require a separate application. Although this depends on the scholarship donor.
What is life after school for graduates of Binghamton University?
Binghamton graduates, over the years, are the cynosure of employers’ eyes. Yearly, over 1,800 employers (both large and small scale) in New York state, across the US and all over the world recruit graduates of the school. Thus, the graduates of this great university go after paying jobs within a broad range of industries. Some of the employers are Google, Microsoft, IBM, Coca-Cola, KPMG, Morgan Stanley, and many more.
Also, the national salary of graduates of Binghamton University is $55,280. This was reported by the class of 2020 National Association of Colleges and Employers first destination survey. Thus, the graduates start with higher salaries.
To benefit from this, you need to identify with the alumni network of the school. Currently, there are more than 137,000 alumni. Remarkably, they open doors to careers and opportunities beyond the walls of the school.
In summary, Binghamton University is a great choice for you if you are looking for both affordability and excellence. Since the admission is fairly competitive, your chances of getting considered are moderate. Equally important, you should apply early to be able to get considered for admission.
Above all, do what is best for you. In case you did not see what you are looking for, there are other affordable schools in the US that can fit into your choice.