German Development Institute (DIE) Megatrends Afrika 2023 Research Program
German Development Institute (DIE) Research Programme “Inter- and Transnational Cooperation” is looking to recruit an African Researcher (f/m/diverse)
When is the Application Deadline:
22nd June 2022
Tell Me About German Development Institute (DIE) Megatrends Africa Research Program:
“Megatrends Afrika: Implications and Options for German and International Policy”, a new research and advisory project in cooperation between the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP) in Berlin, the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) in Bonn and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), is awarding three (3) fellowships to post-doctoral researchers from African countries working on Africa-related issues (PhD completion in 2017 or later).
We are in particular interested in research proposals on the following topics:
Conflicts, Statehood, and Actors of Violence in Africa:
- The relationship between climate change and/or resource management and conflict
- The changing nature of armed conflict, incl. new technologies and influence operations; remote warfare and warfare in urban settings; developments in security sector assistance/ reform
- The effectiveness of regional ad hoc coalitions or organizations in conflict management
Megatrends and Political Authority in Africa:
- The relationship between digitalization, political participation and democracy/ autocracy
- The reshaping of politics through demographic change, and youth movements
- The impact of urban and increasingly digital middle classes on economies and politics
- The relation between climate change or migration and political authority
External Actors and their Influence on Politics, Societies and Economies in Africa
- African perspectives on China’s economic engagement
- External actors in Africa such as India, Russia, Turkey, or the UAE
Fellows are encouraged to conduct a research project independently but might collaborate with team members as well as other SWP, DIE and IfW colleagues. Fellows are encouraged to contribute at least one paper to the project’s publication series. The working language of the Megatrends Afrika-team is English. Publications will be accepted in English or German, but the submission of a publication in French is also possible.
What Type of Scholarship is this?
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for the German Development Institute (DIE) Megatrends Africa Research Program,
- a Master and preferably a PhD degree with excellent grades in one of the following areas: social sciences, including economics, political science, sociology or related fields;
- profound academic expertise and knowledge in at least one of the following areas: democratization and autocratization processes in Africa; China or other external actors’ political engagement in Africa; the relevance of one or several megatrends for African politics or Africa’s international relations;
- proven knowledge in and experience with quantitative or qualitative research methodologies in social sciences;
- experience in providing policy advice;
- research or work experience in African countries is an asset;
- willingness to work in an interdisciplinary, globally dispersed team;
- proven organizational and communication skills;
- fluent written and spoken English, fluent command of German is an asset;
- fluent command of other languages is an asset;
- willingness and aptness to travel abroad, including countries with a tropical climate („Tropentauglichkeit“).
Which Countries are Eligible?
Where will the Award be Taken?
How Many Scholarships will be Given?
What is the Benefit of German Development Institute (DIE) Megatrends Africa Research Program?
- Flexible working hours with a weekly working time up to 39 hours
- Possibility to use a job ticket and a good connection to public transport;
- Trainings for further professional development;
- Company pension scheme with the VBLU;
- A modern and interesting workplace with a good working atmosphere.
- The German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) offers an inspiring, family-friendly working environment at the interface of research and policy advice, with ample opportunities to engage in international discussions, political processes and scientific debates.
In the case of equal qualification, physically challenged persons will be given preference for the German Development Institute (DIE) Megatrends Africa Research Program . We want to promote the diversity of our employees and would like applications from women, men and diverse people.
How Long will the Program Last?
Subject to final approval of funds, the positions may be filled as of 1 December 2021 and are currently limited until 31 December 2022 with a possible option of contract extension.
How to Apply for German Development Institute (DIE) Megatrends Africa Research Program:
All applications must be submitted as a single PDF document and must contain the following documents in English:
- A cover letter (one page);
- A CV incl. a list of academic publications; and a sample of 2 pieces of recently published research papers;
- Copies of relevant academic transcripts and/or diplomas (no translations needed);
- A written concept note containing the description of the applicant’s project (not to exceed two (2) pages or 1000 words);
- This concept note must include:
- A discussion of the project/research topic, relevant project objectives and an explanation of the academic and policy relevance of the project;
- An overview of the theoretical and methodological approaches the fellow seeks to apply.
Following the review of written applications, shortlisted candidates will be invited to an online interview. In choosing applicants, the jury will put particular emphasis on the following criteria:
- Academic and professional merit based on the applicant’s publications and work experience;
- Academic and political relevance of the applicant’s project to the relevant research fields;
- Coherence and feasibility of the applicant’s project;
- Candidates’ ability to communicate effectively and make complex ideas accessible to a broad audience.
The deadline for fellowship applications is 22 June 2022, 11:59 p.m. CEST.
Please send your application by email to [email protected]. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.