Women’s Political Leadership 2023 for Elected Young Women in Developing Countries (Fully-funded to Sweden)
If you are a local political leader in Africa, Asia or Eastern Europe, a woman and most importantly, an agent of change – this programme is for you
Application Deadline: 9th September 2022
About the Award: The 12-months training focuses on developing politicial leadership skills and is open only to women who hold an elected seat in a local government. All parts of the training are based on equity, participation, transparency and accountability, and the goal is to strengthen democracy in the organisations taking part in the training, primarily by strengthening the politician herself, as well as capacitating women politicians in general to be good role models and to get a higher involvement of underrepresented groups in decision making bodies.
The training is implemented in cooperation with the Swedish Association of Local Authoroties and Regions (SALAR).
Eligible Countries: The following countries are eligible for the programme: Albania, Botswana, Georgia, Indonesia, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, Namibia, North Macedonia, Rwanda, Serbia, Tanzania, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, Vietnam, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
To be Taken at (Country): Sweden
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The programme aims to provide the following changes in the participant:
- Empower the participant with improved leadership skills
- Help the participant to fully utilize the power and influence of her position
- Strengthen her as a role model to encourage political participation among marginalized groups
- Give her access to a network of women in similar positions
During the training, the participant will work on her change process and implement a strategy to make the local authority equitable, participatory, transparent and accountable.
- Valuable exchange of knowledge and experiences
- Extended regional and international networks
- Improved skills as a “change agent” in initiating and implementing instituational change
- Skills and abilities to communicate and advocate on issues of inclusive governance
- Two-day study-visit in a Swedish municipality or region
- Support to improve participation, equality, transparency and accountability in the local governance
What we will offer:
- Advanced training in communication, strategic planning and leadership
- Swedish mentorship including an individual two-day study visit in a Swedish municipality or region
- International exposure to different political experiences
- An opportunity for your municipality to help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
- Through skills training workshops on site or digitally
- Identification of challenges and finding solutions to issues faced by women politicians
- By offering strategic support and coaching from ICLD staff and mentors
- In sharing of professional obstacles and successes in an inclusive environment
The participant is expected to develop and work with a change process of her choice during the training. The change process should address a real problem of concern to the politician, thus contribute to translating the theoretical content of the training programme into capacity development and institutional change within her municipality. The change process aims to increase political accountability, helping leading politicians to better respond to the needs of the citizens. An outline of the problem to be addressed by the change process shall be submitted as part of the application, and plays a key role in the selection of participants. The change process requires strong commitment and involvement of the politician and should lead to the proposal of a solution. Keep in mind that there is NO funding available from ICLD for project implementation.
Duration of Award: 12 months (January – December 2023)
How to Apply: Apply here
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.