TDR Postgraduate Scholarship in Implementation Science 2023 for Developing Countries
The University of the Witwatersrand’s School of Public Health invites suitably qualified candidates to apply for a full-time funded Master Degree Programme in the field of Implementation Science. The scholarship is provided by TDR, the UNICEF/UNDP/World Bank/WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases – hosted at the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.
Application Deadline: 9th September 2022
About the Award: The goal of the scheme is to enhance graduate training capacity in implementation research and boost the number of researchers in low- and middle-income countries. The focus is on implementation research on infectious diseases of poverty, including the neglected tropical diseases, malaria, tuberculosis, HIV/TB co-infection and COVID-19. The training isfocused on courses relevant to a career in implementation science. Implementation science is a growing field that supports the identification of health system bottlenecks and approaches to address them, and is particularly useful in low- and middle-income countries where many health interventions do not reach those who need them the most. Further information on implementation research is available at: https://tdr.who.int/home/ourwork/strengthening-research-capacity/implementation-research-training-materials and on neglected tropical diseases at https://www.who.int/teams/control-of-neglected-tropical-diseases.
Eligible Field(s): MSc Epidemiology in the field of Implementation Science (18 months full-time).
Eligibility: Applicants should:
- be resident in and nationals of a low- or middle-income country (as defined by the World Bank) in the WHO African Region;
- be under 35 years old at the time of application;
- meet the standard University of Ghana admission requirements for international or local graduate students (for postgraduate admission requirements at University of Ghana, visit the how to apply to postgraduate programmes page);
- be interested in developing a career in implementation research on infectious diseases of poverty;
- be proficient in English;
- provide evidence of ability to obtain study leave from employment (if applicable) before commencement of the programme; and
- consent to meet health requirements in line with regulations of the Government of Ghana and the University of Ghana.
TDR is committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity in science. Applicants are encouraged to apply irrespective of gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious, cultural and social backgrounds, or (dis)ability status.
Eligible Countries: Developing countries
To be Taken at (Country): Wits University, South Africa
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The scheme will provide full scholarships for Masters in the 2023 academic year and covers the following:
• Return economy airfare between the candidate’s home country and Johannesburg, South Africa
• Tuition fees
• Basic medical and accident insurance
• Monthly stipend to cover living expenses, including accommodation
• Support for research project expenses
Further, recipients’ careers will be tracked with the new TDR Global alumni and stakeholder platform that will monitor the impact of the programme, as well as provide opportunities for networking and increased visibility opportunities for the Fellows.
Duration of Award: 18 months full-time
How to Apply: The application process is two-fold and each MUST be completed separately
To apply for the University of Ghana (Master of Public Health Programme or Master of Science Applied Health Social Science) TDR Postgraduate Scholarship in Implementation Research:
- Step One (1): Click on the link and read more about the application requirement processes, then click on “APPLY NOW” when you are ready to begin the process. https://admission.ug.edu.gh/applying/postgraduate/how-apply-graduate-programmes
- Step Two (2): Select the appropriate option (either “GHANAIAN APPLICANT” or “INTERNATIONAL APPLICANT”, create an account, login and begin the application process. Be sure to select either Master of Public Health or Msc. Applied Health Social Science.
- Step Three (3): Once the first two steps have been completed, click on the link (https://apply.ug.edu.gh/admissions/tdr). Create an account and apply for the TDR Postgraduate Scholarship in Implementation Research (2022 academic year). Be sure to select either Master of Public Health (Social and Behavioral Science) or Msc. Applied Health Social Science. Complete all fields and upload the required documents before submitting.
Only applicants who have completed all three steps will be processed further.
Please note that an application for admission to the University of Ghana is a requirement in order to be considered for the TDR Postgraduate Scholarship in Implementation Research.