University of Cape Town Re-imagining Tragedy from Africa and the Global South (RETAGS) Fellowship 2021
RETAGS are seeking a postdoctoral fellow to join the project for a three-year period commencing in August/September 2021.
Application Deadline: 30th June 2021.
About the Award: The Postdoctoral Fellow will undertake research and gain professional experience under the supervision and mentorship of Prof. Mark Fleishman, the Principal Investigator of the RETAGS project.
Equity, redress, diversity and inclusion are central to the project. We will consider applications from suitably qualified candidates with experience of and interest in the global South broadly. However, we particularly encourage applications from women and black (and especially African) South Africans.
- The successful candidate will hold a PhD degree in Theatre or Performance Studies or a cognate discipline and may not previously have held full-time permanent professional or academic posts.
- The successful applicant will have a broad theatre & performance studies research focus and an interest in applying concepts and forms from inside the theatre to events occurring outside of the theatre in a global South context. Furthermore, an interest in, and willingness to contribute to, the curation of online, digital archives of data collected through fieldwork, would be an advantage.
- Candidates will be expected to participate fully in the life of the RETAGS project, to mentor junior scholars and to develop their own research and outputs in line with the stated objectives of the RETAGS programme. They may be invited to teach and supervise, subject to the limits on Postdoctoral researchers.
- The successful candidate will be expected to conduct fieldwork in various part of the African continent and in sites of the African diaspora and to contribute to the establishment of digital archives based on such fieldwork.
- The successful candidate will be required to register at the Centre for Theatre, Dance and Performance Studies, University of Cape Town, and to comply with relevant policies, procedures and practices at the University of Cape Town. The fellow will be required to be based in Cape Town for the duration of the postdoctoral period except when conducting fieldwork or traveling for approved research purposes.
To be Taken at: University of Cape Town
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: • The Postdoctoral Fellowship is valued at R210 000 per annum, renewable for a total of three years (2021-2022-2023) on the basis of satisfactory academic progress and availability of funds. No benefits or allowances are included in the value of the fellowship
Duration of Award: 3 years
How to Apply: To apply, please send: A letter of application describing your work and how it fits with the themes of the RETAGS project; a CV (including research activities and outputs); your academic transcripts; and two letters of reference from academics who have taught, supervised or worked alongside you.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.