WILPF Women, Peace & Security Programme 2021 for Early-career Researchers
The Women, Peace and Security Programme of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) is hiring for a remote fellow to start immediately (June 2021), for a 4-6 month term.
Application Deadline: 24th May 2021
About the Award: The fellow will work closely with WILPF staff on monitoring, research and communications support on Women, Peace and Security issues in New York. The fellow will monitor Security Council debates and UN events, research and draft policy analysis, and support programme communications (including email and social media).
This competitive fellowship is primarily aimed at individuals early in their careers who are interested in women, peace and security issues related to disarmament and women’s human rights. The experience offers an opportunity to research and write about women, peace and conflict issues and gain experience with a non-governmental organisation.
The fellowship requires a person with good communication skills, initiative, creativity, flexibility, a high level of organisation, an ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and commitment to WILPF’s mission, while maintaining WILPF’s high professional standards. The fellow’s work will be guided by the Programme Manager and the fellowship will primarily be aligned with the working hours of New York (Eastern Time).
- Strong interest in working for a feminist, anti-militarist organisation and dedication to intersectional feminist values;
- Knowledge or strong interest in issues related to women, peace and security and conflict prevention, including but not limited to militarism, sexual violence in conflict, women’s participation in political and peace-related decision-making;
- Currently be enrolled in a graduate programme (e.g., MA, MS, JD, LLM, PhD) or recently graduated with studies in fields such as international relations/affairs, international law, political science, public policy and administration, human rights, international development, international security, and gender studies or has comparable related experiences in this area;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and attention to detail;
- Working knowledge of traditional media, event planning, and social media;
- Ability to speak additional languages (especially Arabic, French, or Spanish) is an added bonus, but not required.
As a feminist, anti-militarist membership organisation, WILPF is dedicated to building a global movement in the pursuit of peace and the fulfilment of human rights. We welcome applications from people of colour, feminists from the Global South, LGBTQI+ people, individuals from conflict-affected and diaspora communities, and people with disabilities. We believe that experience comes in many different forms, and also encourage individuals who may not meet all of the listed qualifications to apply if they feel that they would be a good fit for the fellowship.
Eligible Countries: Any
To be Taken at (Country): Remote. Work may be performed anywhere in the world
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: This opportunity carries a stipend.
The fellow should have the ability to commit to 4 full days per week with the WILPF UN office (or remotely dependent on the COVID-19 guidelines). The fellow’s work will be guided by the Programme Manager.
Duration of Award: 4-6 months
How to Apply: To be considered for the fellowship, applicants should submit the following in one single document:
- One or two-page resume, indicating education, relevant past activities and experience;
- Cover Letter (one page, single-spaced), indicating your preferred start and end date;
- Two References, including names and contact information and/or a letter of recommendation from an academic or field professional;
- Writing Sample (no more than 5 pages), preferably addressing an issue related to women, peace and security, conflict prevention, or human rights, that demonstrates ability to write in short, clear and concrete language (may be an excerpt of longer work);
- The subject of the email should be: “[Last Name, First Name] WILPF WPS Fellowship Application”
- All documents should be combined into ONE (1) SINGLE document ( PDF or DOCX file).
- Please send your application to [email protected]
Due to the volume of applications, we request no phone calls please. We will reach out to short-listed candidates directly.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.