Top 10 International Scholarships to Study Psychology
Psychology is the study of the human mind and how it relates to the person’s behavioral attributes. To be able to study psychology, the individual must possess the necessary skills needed for this field of study. Among such skills required is for the individual to be a great listener, communicate fluently, and possess a minimum understanding of the human mind. If after all assessments and the individual feels ready to take up psychology as a field of study in the university, then the source of funds is sometimes a great challenge.
Psychology is a very deep field of study just as the human mind is not easily understood and so many students seeking to take on this course of study usually opt for scholarships to assist in the required funds in the university. Scholarships are used to find students based on different criteria to further their studies and psychology is no different as there are many scholarships for students to study this great course.
Why Should I Study Psychology?
As stated earlier in this article, psychology is a course that focuses on the human mind and how it affects the behavioral pattern of the person. Psychology is one of the major courses that medical and law students are required to undertake to assist them in their own field of work.
Psychology teaches you how to ‘read minds’ and creates a path where one can be an effective communicator, good listener, understand, and gain a high level of appreciation for human diversity and uniqueness.
Psychologies generally make one value life and respect the fact that everyone is unique and has a right to act and function in whichever capacity they can towards a common goal. For example, two best friends or twins have a different mind and as such are not expected to act the same way towards a certain thing or occurrence.
Top 10 International Scholarships to Study Psychology
Getting an academic qualification in psychology allows the professional to enjoy both the monetary value and also the ability to understand and work with people of different backgrounds. Psychologists are usually well sought after in the hospital, as a psychiatrist, in education, business, etc. Scholarships are also made available for students both at the bachelor, Masters and postgraduate levels. Aspiring students can go through the few scholarship options below to assist in making that great decision.
1. American Psychology Foundation (APF): this scholarship is made available to graduate students who wish to obtain a PhD or Psy.D. Degree in psychology. This scholarship is awarded annually to only the top 25 master’s students who have shown great academic skill upon completing their program and show proof of financial need. The scholarship is awarded for studying in the United States to help the student cover thesis and research costs. The students must be ready to recommend letters from the university, curriculum vitae, and a three-page research project outline.
- Applicants must have completed a master’s degree program in the United States and is willing to earn a PhD degree in psychology.
- Applicants must show prove of financial need and also great academic standing before he or she can be considered.
- Applicants must be indeed be nominated by the university psychology department for the award.
2. California Psychological Association- Foundation (CPA-F): this scholarship is awarded every year to three students from minority groups who wish to obtain a doctoral degree in psychology in any university in California. The award is up to $2000 and is solely for students in need of financial help.
- The student must already possess an outstanding bachelor’s degree and comes from a minority group.
- Student must exhibit financial help before he or she can be considered.
- Applicants must be ready to show proof that upon graduation, he or she is ready to assist other ethnic minority groups.
- The applicant is required to submit a recommendation letter, transcript, and personal essay detailing the future plans of the individual upon graduation.
3. Surrey International MSc Funding for Psychology: this award is given by the department of psychology, the University of Surrey to students who want to complete their master’s degree program in psychology. The scholarship awards £5000 to successful applicants to assist in their cost of study and living. The scholarship is taken at the University of Surrey in the United Kingdom.
- The application is open for international students who want to study for a master’s degree in psychology at the University of Surrey.
- Qualified applicants must be willing to take up a full-time course in psychology at the University.
- Applicants must show proof of financial need before they can be considered for this scholarship.
4. Walter Gleason Ph.D. Scholarship: This scholarship was established and is been awarded by the Wisconsin Psychological Association (WPA) who awards qualified students each year with an amount of $1000 to study psychology at the doctoral level. The scholarship is only awarded to students who are already enrolled into the university to study psychology.
- Applicants must be Wisconsin Psychological Association (WPA) member.
- Successful applicants must already be enrolled into the University for a full time Study in psychology.
- Applicants are required to submit three recommendation letters and proof of enrollment.
- Applicants must have a good standing in the community by way of service.
5. Sharon Stephens Brehm Undergraduate Psychology Scholarship: this scholarship is awarded as part of the American Psychology Foundation (APF) to qualified undergraduate students who possess good academic standing. The Sharon Stephens Brehm scholarship is awarded every year with about $5000 to assist students in expenses such as textbooks, tuition and other type soft educational cost.
- Applicants must have commenced studies as an undergraduate student studying psychology.
- Student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 before application and must submit current transcript, curriculum vitae and a personal written essay.
- Application is open to all students either international students or citizens.
- Applicants must be ready to show proof of financial need if requested.
6. Benton-Meier Scholarship: is awarded by the APF to graduate students specializing in neuropsychology in the university. Benton-Meier Scholarship is about $2000 and it is awarded each year to qualified students. The awarded scholarship is solely for supporting the student on research studies in neuropsychology.
- The scholarship is awarded to graduate students seeking to specialize in neuropsychology in the university.
- Candidates must already possess a master’s degree certificate which must be tendered together with recommendation letters and the CV.
- Only candidates who have been approved by the institutional research board are awarded.
7. Franklin D. Boyce Health Scholarship: this scholarship is awarded for both graduate and undergraduate studies to commence their study in health related fields including psychology. The scholarship awards $2500 to qualified students to assist in tuition and another living cost. Franklin D. Boyce Health Scholarship is awarded by the John Randolph Foundation annually.
- Candidates must own a cumulative GPA of 3.0 before commencing application.
- Candidates most shoe proof or financial need before the scholarship award can be given.
- Successful applicants must be ready to study psychology or any other health related courses in the university.
8. Thelma Hunt Research Grants: this research grant is awarded in honor of one historian in Psi Chi international society of psychology from 1973 to 1979. The Thelma Hunt Research Grants awards about $3000 annually for qualified undergraduate and graduate students in psychology to cover for tuition and other needs. The award is taken in the United States.
- Candidates must be active Psi Chi members at least at the junior level.
- Applicants most already have enrolled and commenced studies in any accredited university in the United States and must possess good academic standing.
- Successful applicants must be ready and willing to commence and conduct research studies on any psychological issues directly related to Psi Chi.
Recommended Video: 25 Best Full Scholarships You Should Know – If you want to Study Abroad
9. Asian American Psychological Association (AAPA): the AAPA scholarship is awarded each year to Filipino American college students who intends on furthering their graduate studies in psychology and its related field. The scholarship provides only $500 in its awards to qualified students.
- Candidates must be open to receive a masters or Ph.D. degree at an accredited university.
- Applicants are required to provide two letters of recommendation and also show proof of commitment to the Filipino-American community.
- Applicants are also required to write and submit a personal statement describing their interests in psychology.
10. Ethel Louise Armstrong Foundation Scholarships: the scholarship award was founded in 1994 by Margaret Staton to assist disable people to achieve their dreams in studying in the university. Now, the Ethel Louise Armstrong (ELA) Foundation awards multiple scholarship of up to $2,000 every year to only female graduate students with physical disabilities.
- Scholarships are granted to only female students with disabilities who are currently enrolled in a university in the US to study psychology or education.
- Candidates must be willing to obtain a master’s degree or any postgraduate degree in the university.
- Applicants must have good academic standing and also maintain a decent and active involvement in the local community of the disability organization.
Psychology majors are often categorized with a lot of research work most especially, at the postgraduate level of education. Again the funds to be able to achieve and excel in this great field are most times a challenge for people. In this article, there are only 10 scholarships but countless scholarship for psychology is available if only one searches the right places. Are you a student either for undergraduate or postgraduate studies and you are in search of psychology scholarships, we hope the above scholarships would act as a footing for your future.