The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) invites applications from candidates from Sub-Saharan Africa for fully-funded 4-year PhD studentships to start a research degree programme on 3 January 2022. There are three studentships available.
Application Deadline: 11th July 2021 23:59 (BST)
About the Award: LSHTM has pre-identified eight research projects that address the links between hygiene and health in Sub-Saharan Africa in one or more of the following areas:
- The role of hygiene in the prevention and transmission of infectious diseases and their consequences
- Hygiene behaviours and hygiene behaviour change
- The intersection of hygiene and broader social and economic impacts
Candidates applying for a PhD studentship under this scheme should choose one of the eight projects listed below that matches their interests, skills and experience and then develop the project further in their application.
Eligible Field(s): Projects to choose from are as follows:
Exploring how a social business model can promote good menstrual health and improve the lives of women socially and economically
- Hygiene Interventions in Kampala’s Informal Settlements: global health imaginaries and local health realities
- Understanding the sustainability of Menstrual Health and Hygiene interventions in schools in Uganda
- Assessing educational outcomes in a school-based menstrual health and hygiene intervention trial in Uganda
- Economic analysis of a school-based menstrual health and hygiene intervention in Uganda
- Hygiene-related determinants of enteric infection in rural and urban settings of Mozambique
- Economic evaluation of adding hand hygiene and point-of-use chlorination interventions to existing treatment for severe acute malnutrition in Senegal
- Complementary food hygiene, childhood diarrhoea, and antibiotic use: exploratory research in peri-urban Zambia
Eligibility: Applicants must be nationals of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa and meet the minimum LSHTM entry requirements. Additional skills and educational requirements are specified for each project. Please see the specific project information for further details.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be Taken at (Country): UK
Number of Awards: 3
Value of Award: Each PhD studentship will comprise:
- Tuition fees at the LSHTM overseas fee rate for the duration of the research project (up to 4 years)
- An annual tax-free stipend equal to the UKRI stipend level (inclusive of London weighting)
- Up to GBP20,000 for research costs, travel and/or training
Duration of Award: 4years
How to Apply: Information about the PhD programme structure at LSHTM, as well as application guidance and a link to the portal, can be found on the School’s Research Degrees and Doctoral College pages.
To apply for this studentship, applicants should submit an application for research degree study via the LSHTM application portal. Applications not submitted through this portal will not be considered.
In their applications, applicants should develop a research proposal based on one of the eight projects listed above. Applications not based on any of the eight projects will not be considered. The research proposal should be uploaded as a supporting document in section 8 of the online application form.
Applicants should also include a personal statement in section 6 of the online form in which they describe their long-term career goals and their vision for contributing to research into hygiene and health in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Applicants should apply via the LSHTM Faculty (ITD, EPH or PHP) of the primary supervisor listed for their chosen project. They should also enter ‘Reckitt-LSHTM Hygiene & Health PhD Studentship’ under ‘LSHTM Scholarship name’ in the ‘Funding Details’ section of the online application form.
Incomplete applications will not be considered for this studentship. To be considered complete an application must show all mandatory documents have been uploaded, and the application submitted, by the scholarship deadline. Applicants should note that referees will be contacted only once an application has been submitted. They must complete the online form. A letter in lieu of this will not be sufficient. Applicants should contact their referees in advance to make them aware of the request and the scholarship deadline.
Applications under this scheme will only be reviewed and processed after the deadline. All applications submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of their submission date. By submitting an application for this funding, applicants agree to its terms and conditions.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Visit Award Webpage for Details