University of Pretoria Masters Research Scholarship (fruit fly pests in South Africa) 2021
Help to protect the South African citrus industry from fruit fly damage while pursuing a MSc from the University of Pretoria.
Application Deadline: 30th April 2021 17:00 (SAST)
About the Award: Application of protein baits in the form of sprays or stations forms the core of fruit fly control measures in citrus and other fruit orchards. Recommendations on application, distribution and amount of protein bait are based on general patterns of behaviour of a few fruit fly species. However, fruit fly species respond differently to protein bait, which may be because of different protein requirements (resulting in different responses to baits with different protein contents) and variation in rates of reproductive maturation.
Higher volumes of bait spray are recommended for bigger tree canopies, which leads to the question of whether more bait units per area is better for fruit fly population suppression. This project will establish the interacting roles of protein bait location, application density and fruit fly physiological state on response by Ceratitis capitata, Ceratitis cosyra and Bactrocera dorsalis.
The project is based in the Department of Zoology and Entomology at the University of Pretoria under the
supervision of Prof. Chris Weldon and Dr Aruna Manrakhan (Citrus Research International).
- BSc Honours or BScAgric degree in Biology, Crop Protection, Entomology or similar with final year grade of at least 60%
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of integrated pest management
- Willing and comfortable to work in the field for extended periods of time
- Strong communication skills in oral and written English
- Patience and attention to detail
- Based in or able to relocate to Pretoria
- A valid driver’s license
To be Taken at (Country): South Africa
Number of Awards: 1
Value & Duration of Award: The project is offered on a full-time basis only. The MSc candidate must begin the project before the end of June 2021 and submit the dissertation for examination by the end of 2022. A generous bursary is available to reimburse registration and tuition fees, and cover living expenses. Research costs will also be covered.
How to Apply: Apply below
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.