EPFL/UM6P 100 PhDs for Africa Program 2021 for African Students
As part of the EPFL-UM6P’s Excellence in Africa initiative, the EXAF centre has launched the first call for proposals of the ‘100 PhDs for Africa’ programme: Outstanding students, who wish to benefit from this fellowship to complete a PhD at an African institution, are encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: 20th April 2021.
About the Award: UM6P and EPFL have launched the Excellence in Africa initiative (EXAF) to support the rise of the next generation of researchers in Africa. This ground-breaking initiative aims to enhance their research skills through collaboration with EPFL professors. It is based on the premise that it will contribute to building their career and enable them to heighten their economic and societal impact in Africa.
The programme ‘100 PhDs for Africa’ is one of three pillars of the EXAF initiative. It is designed to fund science and engineering graduates intending to complete a PhD at an African higher education institution.
- To be a national of an African country
- To hold a Master’s degree awarded after the 1st of January 2018 or to be enrolled in the final year of the master study
- To have an outstanding academic track record
- To be enrolled in an African academic institution and reside in an African country for the duration of the PhD
- To have the endorsement of a professor of an African institution willing to supervise the doctoral thesis for its full duration
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be Taken at (Country): Candidates will conduct their doctoral studies and their thesis research at their home institution, and they will spend short periods of time at EPFL and at UM6P
Number of Awards: 100
Value of Award: The PhD candidates benefiting from this programme will be jointly supervised by a professor of an African institution and by an EPFL professor. They will conduct their doctoral studies and their thesis research at their home institution, and they will spend short periods of time at EPFL and at UM6P (summer and spring schools, workshops, conferences). Their degree will be awarded by their institution in Africa.
How to Apply: Applicants must submit their application with all required documents via the on-line submission platform.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.