Swedish Institute Management Programme (SIMP) Africa 2021 for Young African Leaders
Do you want to be a part of an international network of emerging leaders focused on responsible and sustainable business practices? Join the Swedish Institute Management Programme (SIMP) Africa.
Application Deadline: 21st March 2021
Eligible Countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
To be taken at (country): Sweden and selected countries in Africa
About the Award: Sweden is considered to be one of the leading countries in sustainable business practice. Swedish companies play a prominent role in finding new, innovative ways to integrate social, environmental and ethical concerns into their core business models. But the challenges are global and we have a common need for sustainable development.
The programme curriculum revolves around advanced business-related problem solving, seminars and meetings with front figures in the commercial, political and cultural fields, as well as on-site company visits. By providing the platform for knowledge sharing, experience exchange and quality networking, the programme aims to challenge traditional approaches, reinforce professional skills, deepen cross-cultural perspectives and unite the participants in a long-lasting and active global network.
The programme, spread over seven months, comprises three weeks of intensive training divided into an introductory kick-off at the Swedish Embassy in each country, a two week module in Sweden and a concluding five day module in Africa.
Eligibility: To apply to SIMP Africa you have to:
- aspire to make sustainability an integral part of your business strategy
- be in a leading position within trade, industry or the public sector
- have mandate to influence the business strategy for your organisation
- be between 25-45 years old (born 1976–1996).
- have a good working knowledge of both written and spoken English
- be a citizen and resident of Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda or Zambia
- be can take part in all parts of the programme
- be willing to forward competences and knowledge you gain from the programme
Selection: The applications will be evaluated according to the following selection criteria:
- The relevance and quality of personal motivation and commitment, and the applicant’s answers in the application form.
- An assessment of the CV
- The general qualifications of the applicant
The Swedish Institute will make its decision taking into account the recommendations of the selection committee as well as the candidates’ general suitability for the programme. We are striving for as much diversity as possible in the group in order to maximise the exchange of experience between the participants, which means the distribution of candidates from each country will differ.
Out of all applicants, a number of shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews as a second step in the selection process. The interviews will be conducted by Business Sweden. The 25 selected applicants will be contacted by e-mail and offered a place in SIMP Africa 2021.
Number of Awards: 25
Value of Program:
- Training and content
- Conference facilities if the pandemic situation allows for physical meetings in the capital of each country included in SIMP Africa.
Duration of Program: 8 months
SIMP Africa 2021 takes place from June 2021 to February 2022. The programme is mainly focused into three modules which will take place in June, September/October and February 2022. Each module lasts between three to eight weeks and requires approximately one working day per week, including participation in physical meetings at conference venues locally, live online sessions, and engagement with pre-recorded material, group assignments and individual work. In between the modules, you will work on your own sustainability project with the help of expert coaching and group tasks.
How to Apply: Create your application online in the application portal.
A complete application consists of all the information in the Program Webpage (see Link below)