MIASA Fellowships (Junior/Senior) at the University of Ghana 2021 for African Scholars
The Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) offers Fellowships (Junior/Senior) at the University of Ghana within the period between 15 January and 31 July 2022
Application Deadline: 31st March 2021, 24 h CET
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: The present call is for five individual fellowships of 3 to 5 months duration within the period between 15 January and 31 July 2022. Individual fellowships will allow researchers to conduct a project of their own choice. These projects can be of an opening, continuing, or closing nature. The successful applicants will become MIASA Fellows with all the corresponding rights and obligations for the agreed fellowship period. Key among the obligations is that MIASA fellows are required to spend the bulk of their fellowship in residence at MIASA at the University of Ghana.
The Maria Sibylla Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) is broadly dedicated to research in the Humanities and Social Sciences, with ‘Sustainable Governance’ as its central, but by no means exclusive topic. Overarching aims of MIASA are working towards a reduction of global asymmetries in knowledge production and bridging the cultural divide between anglophone, francophone and lusophone Africa. MIASA, established in 2018, serves as a hub for exchange, networking and collaboration amongst leading researchers from Germany, Ghana, the African and European continents, and beyond. It is located on the beautiful campus of the University of Ghana at Legon (Accra).
The Institute offers time and space for supporting innovative academic projects in the Humanities and Social Sciences of top international quality. MIASA supports these projects via different kinds of fellowships: individual fellowships, tandem fellowships with one tandem partner from Germany and the other from Africa, and fellowships as members of Interdisciplinary Fellow Groups. From 2021 until 2026, MIASA will grant some 20 fellowships per year in total.
Type: Fellowship, Research
Eligibility: Eligible for application are junior and senior researchers from around the globe after completion of their PhD in a relevant discipline of the Humanities or the Social Sciences. Applicants must propose a research project that matches the research focus of the IFG on“The Governance of Energy Transitions in the Global South”.
Number of Awards: 20 per year
Value of Award:
- The successful applicants will become MIASA Fellows with all the corresponding rights and obligations for the requested funding period.
- The fellows’ salary costs will be met by MIASA on the principle of “no loss, no gain” and paid directly to their home institution. MIASA will provide accommodation and reimburse travel costs.
- Furthermore, all fellows will receive a monthly allowance of 400 €.
- In addition, MIASA will provide a research cost contribution that fellows can apply for to support their research undertaken at MIASA (max. 600 €/fellow).
- The Institute provides its fellows with modern office space and an up-to-date infrastructure. Fellows have full access to all library services. A full-time presence of fellows at MIASA for the four-month period is expected.
Duration of Award: 3 to 5 months duration within the period between 15 January and 31 July 2022.
How to Apply:
- Applications can be submitted both in English and in French. The completed application form together with the required documents has to be uploaded on the application webpage and submitted by March 31, 2021; 24.00 h CET.
- Information on the application and selection process (required documents, eligibility criteria, evaluation criteria, timeline and stages of the selection process) is provided in the Application Guidelines for Individual Fellowships.