Call for applications: ADA online Summer School 2021 Early Doctoral Programme (EDP) Scholarships: The African Doctoral Academy (ADA) is privileged to offer a limited number of candidates, at the start of their Doctoral careers, the opportunity to attend the ADA online Summer School in from 18 January – 03 February 2023.
Application Deadline: 18th December 2022 midnight (SAST).
About African Doctoral Academy Summer School 2023 Early Doctoral Programme (EDP) Scholarships
The African Doctoral Academy (ADA) at Stellenbosch University is privileged to offer a limited number of candidates, at the start of their Doctoral careers, the opportunity to attend research, publishing, scientific communication and career-related training courses at the ADA Summer School that takes place in-person at Stellenbosch University from 18 January – 03 February 2023.
This call is open to all doctoral candidates that are within the first 18 months of their doctoral degree, across all institutions and disciplines. Some of the scholarships are specifically for delegates from institutions that are a partner university of Stellenbosch University. The list of partner universities can be found at the bottom of this page..l
The ADA will be presenting the 2023 Summer School in-person at Stellenbosch University. All courses are certified by Stellenbosch University and an electronic certificate will be issued to delegates that meet the requirements.
Eligibility: Eligible candidates should:
- Be in the early phases of their PhD (first 18 months), can be from any discipline
- Be enrolled at their home institution by 1 January 2023 and,
- Have been enrolled for no more than 18 months by 18 January 2023.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be Taken at: Stellenbosch University
Number of Awards: Successful applicants will be able to enrol for a course, which will be fully funded, during the Summer School. Applicants may select a first and second choice of course. The value of the award will depend on the course selected by the candidate, as well as other related costs such as travel, accommodation, etc.
How to Apply:
- Complete the online form
- Applicants can only apply for one course during the school but may indicate a first and second choice (if applicable). We will endeavour to give you the course of your choice as far as possible.
- Upload the specified documents as part of the application process. No documents will be accepted by email. Please make use of the following naming convention: your surname.document_type (for example smit.curriculumvitae.doc). (See application form for required documents)
Your application will not be considered as complete if you do not submit all the required documentation in full by the closing date. To submit the form, all required documents must be submitted simultaneously.
Required additional documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- A formal proof of registration at your home institution, clearly indicating your registration date for your doctoral degree
- A written approval/referee report by your supervisor
- On your university letterhead and containing your supervisor’s signature (of the current (home) supervisor) or head of department to endorse the applicant’s application. This will indicate the home supervisor’s/head of department’s approval for the applicant to participate in the ADA’s Doctoral School and provide legitimacy of applicant’s intention.
- Additional credit will be awarded during the evaluation process if your supervisor motivates your application and suitability for the programme, in addition to endorsing your application.
Visit Award Webpage for Details
- The ADA reserves the right not to make any selections for the programme.
- We also reserve the right to rescind any scholarship awards made, including if the delegate is unable to commit to the programme’s full duration.
- Candidates that have benefitted from African Doctoral Academy or other funding via Stellenbosch University International in the last 18 – 24 months will be placed on the B list of applications to ensure the equitable distribution of funds available.
- Female candidates and candidates registered at an African University will be given a bonus point during the scoring process.