Ezera Research Fellowship 2023: The University of California at Berkeley invites applications for the Emeka Kalu Ezera fund for graduate African students.
Application Deadline: 11th April 2023
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): USA
About the Ezera Research Fellowship: An endowment has been established in memory of Emeka Kalu Ezera to support graduate students from African countries south of the Sahara at the University of California at Berkeley. The funds from the endowment are assigned to the Center for African Studies to aid student scholars at the graduate level concentrating in African Studies.
For administrative purposes, the Ezera competition is combined with the Rocca Fellowship (See in Program Webpage link below)competition. Ezera recipients may also receive funds from the Rocca endowment. Only one application is necessary. If you are applying for the Emeka Kalu Ezera fellowship, indicate which African country you are from in the appropriate space on the application.
- The Ezera Research Fellowship gives priority to graduate students from West Africa who show exceptional promise of advancing scholarship in African Studies in the social sciences, humanities, and public policy and who demonstrate strong leadership potential.
- Students from other African regions are eligible and are encouraged to apply.
- Students must have been accepted for admission at the University of California at Berkeley when they apply and must be enrolled before funds may be dispersed to them.
- The fellowship is not available to students who are permanent residents or citizens of the United States.
- A total of no more than two years of support will be provided to a recipient of this fellowship; applications for the second year of support will be considered de novo along with other applications for that year.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Funds may be requested for maintenance, travel, or research costs, as appropriate to enhance pre-dissertation and dissertation research on Africa. Ezera funds may be used to supplement, but not substitute for, other grants. Students are encouraged to apply to other sources, including the Rocca grant. Currently, grants from the Ezera fund will be in the $500 to $1000 range.
How to Apply: See the application for details.