It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies by offering up to 5 In-Country/In-Region Scholarships for Master studies at Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) for the intake 2023/2024
Application Deadline: 15th March 2023.
About the Award: TGCL invites applications from candidates from the East African Community Partner States (i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) for LLM studies starting on 1 November 2023.
The Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) is a cooperation project of the
University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and the University of Bayreuth, Germany. TGCL offers a
structured LLM study programme at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law and trains aspiring
young East African lawyers, qualifying them for leading positions in the region and beyond.
Eligible Field(s): Master’s in laws (LLM)
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following DAAD criteria:
- have successfully completed generally a three-year university Bachelor’s degree with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to a maximum of the regular period of study upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted.
Please note: Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) might have additional requirements for admission to the university.
Eligible Countries: Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
To be Taken at (Country): Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL), Tanzania
Number of Awards: 5
Value of Award: For the Academic Year 2023 – 2024, the TGCL will award partial scholarships to applicants from EAC Partner States only, which will fully cover the tuition fees for the LL.M programme at the University of Dar es Salaam. Other costs will be borne by students as shown below:
Costs to be Covered by Students
• Living Expenses.
• Health Insurance Cover.
• Travel expenses.
It is however, important to note that TGCL Scholarship holders who opt to be accommodated at hostels
owned by the University of Dar es Salaam will pay accommodation fees equivalent to that payable by
Duration of Award: The duration of the Master programme is generally one year (1 November 2023 – 31 October 2024).
How to Apply: The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the DAAD application deadline as well as TGCL’s deadline.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.