Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Programme 2022 for African Students
The Yale Young African Scholars Program (YYAS) is a high-intensity academic and leadership program designed for African secondary school students who have the talent, drive, energy, and ideas to make meaningful impacts as young leaders, even before they begin their university studies.
Application Deadline: 3rd February 2022 at 11:59pm EST.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): Summer 2022 YYAS will be held Online
Eligible Field of Study: Any
About the Yale Young African Scholars Programme: Entering its SEVENTH year, this intensive program brings together African secondary school students between the ages of 14–18 for a cost-free, intensive academic and residential program.
Administered by the Yale Young Global Scholars Program and building off that model of interdisciplinary academic curriculum, YYAS participants will attend lectures led by prominent Yale faculty, seminars developed by Yale student instructors, and experiential exercises designed to augment their leadership skills. Participants will engage in robust intellectual exchanges that are crucial to understanding Africa’s most pressing challenges and opportunities. In addition to the introduction to university application processes, Yale student-led courses and leadership training, YYAS also offers students standardized test preparation sessions at no cost to the students.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process. There is no tuition cost for students to participate in YYAS.
Type: Training/Short Courses
Eligibility for Yale Young African Scholars:
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old by application deadline (03 February 2022) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2023. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2022 and no later than November/December 2023.
If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
If you are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, you may NOT apply for YYAS. (*However, if you are a YYAS alumnus/a, you can apply to YYGS if eligible.)
Selection Criteria: A typical YYAS participant has:
- Excellent academic records
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A desire and ability to work cooperatively with peers
- Persistence and determination when facing challenges
- High standards of personal and professional conduct
- The ability to read, analyze, and reflect on large quantities of difficult material in English
- Interest in engaging in discussions about intellectual, moral, and political issues in Africa
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Yale Young African Scholars Programme: To make the program accessible to students of all financial backgrounds, there is no cost for students to participate in YYAS.
Duration of Program: 20 July to 26 July 2022.
How to Apply for Yale Young African Scholars Programme: APPLY NOW for the 2022 Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) program!
Important Note: Please note there is no cost to apply for, or participate in YYAS. While we share the same online application form as our sister program, YYGS, the application fee section only applies to students who wish to apply for both programs, or YYGS only. Students who ONLY wish to apply for YYAS should disregard the financial aid section of the application.