UNU/IIGH Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme 2021 for International Scholars – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Postdoctoral Fellowship is open to candidates who demonstrate that they can contribute to this programme of work. Furthermore, candidates will be given the opportunity and are expected to lead to specific areas of work.
Application Deadline: 19th October 2020
REFERENCE NO.: 2020/UNU/IIGH/PSA/PFP/59
About the Award: Postdoctoral Fellows at UNU-IIGH are within five (5) years of graduation with a PhD or Professional Doctorate. The Postdoctoral Fellowship provides fellows the opportunity to expand their career beyond the academic research environment to engage with policy application, translation, and dissemination. UNU-IIGH offers an excellent multicultural environment for interaction with scholars from different countries and diverse educational backgrounds.
The 2019-2023 Strategy for UNU-IIGH shifts the institute’s body of work from investigator-driven global health projects to priority-driven, policy-relevant pillars of work. The institute’s mission is to build knowledge and capacity for decision making by UN agencies, UN programmes, and Member States about global health issues. The goal of UNU-IIGH is to advance evidence-based policymaking on crucial issues related to sustainable development and public health. The strategy is implemented through three pillars of work:
- Translating evidence into policy
- Generating policy-relevant analysis related to gender and health
- Strengthening capacity for local decision making
As part of this work, the institute is launching a Gender & Health Policy Hub to provide a platform for collaboration, practice-based learning, and co-production of critical analyses and evidence, as well as broker new partnerships and alliances to extend the sources of evidence and support dissemination and policy translation.
Required qualifications and experience include:
- applicants must be within five (5) years of completion of a PhD in public health or a related discipline
- professional experience in public health research, policy, or programming
- familiarity with gender-responsive research and/or programming
- familiarity with systematic approaches to searching and evaluating scientific literature
- demonstrated experience in research design
- proven experience with quantitative and/or qualitative research techniques
- experience with policy relevant research, including formulating policy-relevant research questions, undertaking policy analysis, and writing policy briefs
- an analytical approach to defining policy-relevant research questions
- demonstrated ability in conducting data analysis and interpretation
- experience in writing peer-reviewed manuscripts
- excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- excellent time management skills
Other desirable skills:
- experience in working on interdisciplinary research projects
- experience in publishing in peer-reviewed journals
- experience in writing grant applications
- experience in writing progress reports
- experience in implementing research and/or health policy and systems research
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation
Eligible Countries: International
To be Taken at (Country): Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- This is employment under a Personnel Service Agreement contract (PSA) with a monthly tax-exempted (in Malaysia) remuneration of USD 3,028.92. The successful candidate will not hold international civil servant status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. No relocation allowance applies.
- This position carries an annual leave entitlement of 2.5 working days per month (a total of 30 days of paid annual leave), and private health insurance coverage.
Duration of Award: This is full-time employment. The period of initial contract will be for 12 months, which can be extended for an additional 12-month period.
How to Apply: Apply here
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.