From October 2023 to September 2024, twenty outstanding women in executive-level leadership positions in African conservation will come together for a year of virtual and in-person sessions to transform their own and each other’s leadership for the benefit of people, wildlife, and ecosystems across the continent and around the world.
Application Deadline: 15th August 2023
About the Award: WE Africa’s purpose is to put women leaders in Africa at the heart of transforming the environmental movement through inclusive, collective leadership.WE Africa was born through our frustration that the joint crises of biodiversity loss and the climate emergency also reflect a crisis and lack of diversity in leadership that needs urgent attention.
WE lead is our 12 month annual leadership experience for women environmental leaders in Africa. The program has been designed by leadership experts and co-created with our WE Africa fellows since 2021 and is grounded in our pillars of personal leadership, wellbeing, relationships for collaboration and peacebuilding, visibility for impact and radical imagination. On graduating from the WE lead experience the WE Africa fellows join our WE move community, which is as our path to scale our impact through collective action and paying it forward.
We are now accepting applications for the WE Africa 2024 Cohort.
The WE Africa yearlong transformative leadership journey is for women who meet the following criteria:
- African nationals, current citizens of a country in Africa, or those who have had permanent residency in Africa for a minimum of 15 years
- A minimum of 8 years of experience working in the environmental space in government, NGO, or private sector in Africa including at least 3 years serving in a senior leadership role.
- Actively involved in all areas of the environment; including but not limited to the green economy, climate action, pollution, biodiversity and community conservation, indigenous rights and the environment, environmental policy and law, environmental journalism and science communication, and social entrepreneurship.
- A commitment to investing in your personal growth and participation for the full 12-month program.
- A record of mentorship and desire to support future environmental leaders.
- Access to reliable internet for the entire duration of the 12 months.
- Ability to manage your calendar to attend one 2 hour online session each week at a set time.
- Able to speak and understand English conversationally.
- A commitment to contribute USD approximately $2000 toward the cost of the program and your travel to retreats (approximately 15% of the total cost per person)
*If you do not meet the requirements from the second point above, you may provide motivation in the application about why you believe you are eligible and if accepted may be required to provide a letter from your employee supporting your participation in the weekly online sessions. .
**A limited number of scholarships are available to help offset costs for selected applicants.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be Taken at (Country): Online and Offline (TBA)
Number of Awards: 20
Value of Award:
- Membership in a community of passionate, experienced African women who are some of the most senior leaders in conservation today
- Access to twelve months of 1:1 leadership coaching
- An opportunity to create a new leadership vision for yourself and pursue a personalized leadership plan
- Monthly online sessions to fit around your work schedule
- Two in-person retreats for intensive personal and collective growth and community-building
Duration of Award: 12 MONTHS
15 August – Deadline for Application Submissions
19 September – Final Round Top 30 Candidates Notified for Interviews
Mid October – Final Round Interviews Conducted
13 November – Public announcement of 2024 Fellows
How to Apply: CLICK HERE TO APPLY
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.