University of Antwerp Doctoral Scholarship 2020 in Urbanisation, Poverty and Inequality in Africa
AIPRIL at the University of Antwerp is looking for a full-time (100%) Doctoral scholarship holder to conduct research on the topic of Urbanisation, Poverty and Inequality in Africa.
Application Deadline: 8th August 2020.
About the Award: The university’s recently founded Antwerp Interdisciplinary Platform for Research into Inequality (AIPRIL) seeks to advance our understanding of how socioeconomic inequalities are changing, what is driving such trends and what, if anything, can be done.
This project will link large spatial datasets of processed satellite imagery on built-up areas and emitted nightlight in Africa to micro-level household panel and census data. The project aims to understand how urbanisation interacts with economic development in Africa.
The position is based at the Institute of Development Policy (IOB), a member institution of AIPRIL. At IOB scholars from various disciplinary backgrounds come together to study development.
- You hold a Master degree in Economics or related social sciences, or will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results
- You can demonstrate excellent applied econometrics skills
- You have conducted independent research before, for example as part of a master thesis.
- You can analyse large data sets in Stata or R. Knowledge of GIS software, such as QGIS is desirable.
- You have a proven interest in development issues in general and for Africa in particular.
- Experience with survey or other fieldwork is desirable.
- You can think creatively, with attention to both detail and the bigger picture.
- You can write clearly, concisely and precisely in English.
Eligible Countries: Any
To be Taken at (Country): Belgium
Number of Awards: 1
Value & Duration of Award:
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of 2 years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another 2 years.
- The position can start on 1 October 2020 or soon after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
- You work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in Economics or Development Studies. Motivate in your application which PhD degree you are most interested in pursuing.
- Your PhD thesis will be written under the supervision of prof. dr. Joachim De Weerdt, co-supervised by prof dr Koen Decancq.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks.
How to Apply: You can apply for this vacancy until 8 August 2020. Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your CV, transcripts showing study results of your highest degree, and a 700 to 1000 word research proposal summarising how you would approach an empirical investigation into Urbanisation, Poverty and Inequality in Africa.
If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to [email protected] If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Joachim De Weerdt ([email protected]).
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.