The COVID-19 Global South AI and Data Innovation initiative is open for applications from research consortia and individual organizations.
Application Deadline: 28th June 2020 at 11:59 pm (EDT)
About the Award: Artificial intelligence (AI) and data science are key tools to support public health responses to COVID-19. IDRC and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) are providing up to CA$10 million to support AI and data research and innovations in the Global South to assist the COVID-19 pandemic response and recovery.
Countries in the Global South must also address infrastructure, governance, and implementation challenges related to new technologies. This initiative will explore how to best use responsible and inclusive tools in the Global South while ensuring they maintain the highest regard for inclusion, sustainability, and human rights.
“Sida is pleased to collaborate with IDRC on this important initiative, which primarily targets researchers in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) to lead research teams applying AI tools and data science to support the COVID-19 response and recovery in LMIC settings,” says AnnaMaria Oltorp, head of Sida’s Research Cooperation Unit.
The program aims to support multidisciplinary research in six thematic areas:
- Forecasting transmissions and reducing spread through policy and public health interventions;
- Mobilizing AI and data science to understand and support gender-inclusive COVID-19 action;
- Optimizing public health system responses for patient diagnosis, care, and management;
- Building trust and combatting mis- and dis-information around COVID-19;
- Strengthening data systems and information sharing about COVID-19; and
- Supporting transparent and responsible AI, data, and digital rights governance around COVID-19 and pandemic responses.
Eligibility: Funding will support research that uses AI and data science to strengthen governments and public systems in responding to the current pandemic and to address future epidemics. It will also support policy research that ensures the use of AI and data is responsible (inclusive, rights-based, ethical, and sustainable) and well governed. The program will also support opportunities for Southern researchers to build capacities and collaborate with researchers globally.
Eligible Countries: Developing countries
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The program will support projects between CA $500K to CA$1.25 million for two years (2020–2022). The project funds will be disbursed and administered by IDRC on behalf of the partnership. The number of supported projects will depend on the number, quality, review, and ranking of eligible proposals as determined by the review process. The competitive selection will be undertaken through review from a panel of experts.
Duration of Award: 24 months
How to Apply: Apply now
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.