Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Security Nexus DAAD Summer School Scholarships 2020 for African Countries – Germany
The Institute for Technology and Resources Management in the Tropics and Subtropics (ITT) invites DAAD scholarship holders of the In-Region/ In-Country programme to apply for the attendance of a four-week summer school from August 17th to September 11th, 2020 at the TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) in Cologne, Germany.
Application Deadline: 22nd March 2020
Eligible Countries: African Countries
To be Taken at (Country): Germany: TH Köln University of Applied Sciences (Technische Hochschule Köln)
About the Award: The title of the four-week programme is “From Data to Decision: Assessment of the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Security Nexus”. The summer school will facilitate capacity building for future professionals in the cross-sectoral field of sustainable resources management, with a focus on holistic assessment of nexus systems and on enhancing the ability to create information that is valuable to decision makers.
The summer school course will focus on:
- Assessment of WEF Nexus systems using public domain data
- Modelling of WEF Nexus interactions and interventions
- Decision-making based on WEF Nexus assessments
- Publication and communication of WEF Nexus system sciences
Type: Short course
Eligibility: The course is open to DAAD scholarship holders currently enrolled in the DAAD In-Country / In-Region programme (Master or PhD level).
The course might be especially relevant to students enrolled in:
- Environmental sciences
- Civil or environmental engineering
- Water and natural resources management
- Agricultural sciences / crop sciences / agro-forestry
- Renewable energies
- Environmental law
- Social sciences with environmental focus
- Or equal
- This training is conducted in English and a proof of English proficiency is required.
- Please note that attending this summer school should not compromise your regular study programme commitments or duration. This summer school will not be accepted as justification for extension of your current In-Country/In-Region scholarship
- You can apply for up to two summer schools in 2020. However, participation will be possible in only one of them.
Please mind that participation is possible only once: If you have joined one of the In-Country / In-Region programme’s summer schools in the last years, it will not be possible to participate again in 2020.
Number of Awards: 30
Value of Award: As an additional offer for scholarship holders of the In-Country / In-Region Programme, the DAAD cooperates with German universities in organising a range of summer schools in Germany. These four-week measures give the students and young researchers an opportunity to take part in a high-class academic training in a selected subject area, meet and exchange with peers from across the world, and make their own, unique experiences of the German society, culture and history.
Duration of Award: 4 weeks (August 17th – September 11th, 2020)
How to Apply: A full application consists of the following four documents:
- Application form
The form is provided in the online application portal and is an online submission.
- Letter of Motivation
Among other points, the letter of motivation should clearly state, why you are interested in this course and what your personal research interest is. The letter will be submitted in the online portal and has a max. length of 450 words.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
The CV should be provided in tabular form with a max. length of 2 A4 pages.
- Proof of English proficiency
This proof can be provided as an English test result (we accept IELTS or TOEFL and a B2 level is required) or in form of a signed and stamped certificate that proves, that a full study in higher education was completed in English language.
- Copy of your passport
Scan of the first two info pages of your current passport. The passport needs a min. validity of 6 months after your stay in Germany.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.