Southern African-Nordic Centre (SANORD) Brian O’ Connell Scholarship Programme 2021 for Young Southern Africans
The BOC Scholarship programme aims to provide such scholarships to students from a SANORD member institution in the Southern African region to spend 3-5 months at a SANORD Nordic member institution for time to work on their research and dissertation.
Application Deadline: 15th August 2021
Eligible Countries: Southern African countries
To be Taken at (Country): A Nordic country
About the Award: The BOC Scholarship makes provision for PARTIAL scholarship funding of R84 000 per applicant. Qualifying Master’s students who are registered at a SANORD member institution of higher education in the Southern African region are eligible to apply.
Qualifying Master’s students will be required to spend 3 to 5 months at a SANORD Nordic member institution of their choice. Successful candidates will be required to engage in activities that will support the completion of the Master’s degree. Preference will be given to those projects aligned to the SANORD Strategy 2022. (see attached n application form) The scholarship funds will be disbursed during the 2020 academic year.
Eligibility: Applicants should:
- Be enrolled for a Masters’ degree at a SANORD member Southern African institution in the current the year that they will be travelling.
- Provide a detailed study plan (academic activities the student aims to undertake at the host institution? e.g. which courses, what kind of research, is the research aligned to the host institution’s areas of scholarship? Is it aligned to SANORD’s 2022 Strategic Goals).
- A motivation for why you wish to pursue this collaborative international study abroad opportunity, and how it will benefit your development and contribute to Southern Africa’s knowledge production.
- Provide an accredited transcript of records for both the Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree.
- Provide a written Letter of Acceptance from the HOST institution.
- Provide evidence (Letter of support) from the HOME supervisor and the relevant Dean of the faculty that supports your stay at the host institution.
- Sign a binding contract with the SANORD Central Office (SCO) in line with the objectives of the programme.
- Submit a report within 1 month on return from the home institution to share experiences gained.
- Present your work and experience at a seminar hosted by the SANORD Central Office
- Utilize the required knowledge to contribute towards Southern Africa’s development.
- Be committed to return to the home institution to graduate
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Partial Funding:
Students must provide a budget for the costs that will be incurred to the value of R84 000.
• A total amount of R 84 000 could cover the following costs:
- A return, economy class airline ticket.
- A living allowance
- Travel Insurance for the period (could be included with your air ticket)
- Tuition fees (if fees are not subsidized by the host institution)
How to Apply: Please submit your applications to [email protected] and ensure that all the required supporting documents are attached. Only full applications with all the supporting documents in one single email will be accepted for logistical reasons.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.