World Bank Addis Ababa University Master & PhD Scholarships in Water Management 2022/2023 for African Students – Ethiopia
The Africa Center of Excellence for Water Management (ACEWM) is an initiative of the World Bank Group and the Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia through the Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) Regional Center hosted by the Addis Ababa University (AAU).
Application Deadline: 10th June 2022
Eligible Countries: African countries EXCEPT Ethiopia
To be taken at (country): Ethiopia
About the Award: Since 2016, the ACEWM has been offering an interdisciplinary MSc and PhD programs in the field of water management, with the primary purpose of training the next generation of water educators, researchers, managers, and professionals and promoting outreach. Currently, ACEWM has attracted 34 PhD and 46 MSc students from Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Malawi, Botswana and France.
The program is a full-time study and teaching takes place through lectures, seminars, and field based studies. In addition, teaching may be conducted through video conference and technology enhanced learning approach. The language of instruction throughout the study is English.
Hence, with the aim of developing and establishing a collaborative world-class center of excellence in water management, an innovative approach to managing complex problems in a holistic, integrative and transformative approach that considers science, technology, and socioeconomic aspects, the ACEWM calls for outstanding scholars to apply for PhD and MSc programs in the following tracks.
Field of Study:
- Hydrology & Water Resources Management
- Aquatic Ecosystems Management
- Water Science and Technology
- Water Quality Management
- Aquatic Ecosystems Management
- Hydrology & Water Resources
- Water Supply and Sanitation
- Water and Wastewater Technology
Type: Masters, PhD
- Ph.D. applicants must have a Master’s Degree earned from a college or university of recognized standing with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale or equivalent in ECTS. However, applicants with grade point averages between 3.0 and 3.5 will be given consideration based on their experience and achievement.
- Applicants to the Ph.D. program should provide evidence of capacity for research. This could include a master’s thesis, a professional paper, peer reviewed manuscripts, consulting reports, or other evidence of capacity to conduct research.
- All applicants’ undergraduate Cumulative GPA must not be less than 2.75 for males and not less than 2.50 for females on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants who have completed their degree/diploma from foreign universities (other than Ethiopia) are required to obtain their degree/diploma equivalent from the Ethiopian Higher Education Relevance and Quality Agency (HERQA) before admission. (Academic documents authentication by relevant office is mandatory during admission).
- Applicants must have sufficient knowledge of English language and provide proof of proficiency. The age limit at the time of application for M.Sc. applicants is 30 years or less and for Ph.D. 40 years or less.
- Applicants need to meet also the general requirements laid down by the School of Graduate Studies, Addis Ababa University (www.aau.edu.et)
Number of Awards: Limited
Value of Award:
- ACEWM will have a modest funding to support research projects of all selected applicants who successfully join ACEWM programs.
- In addition to research support, ACEWM will provide full scholarship for very limited number (3 PhD and 5 MSc) of highly competent applicants from African Countries other than Ethiopia. A monthly stipend of 600 USD (Equivalent amount paid in ETB) for MSc. and 800 USD (Equivalent amount paid in ETB) for PhD applicants. The stipend includes accommodation.
Duration of Award: The PhD program will have a duration of 4 years and the MSc program 2 years (Academic years).
How to Apply:
- A cover page containing applicant’s full name as it appears on applicant’s ID/Passport, full contact details including residential and postal address, email and telephone number(s),
- A copy of ID/Passport, Water Quality Management Water Supply and Sanitation Water and Wastewater Technology
- Detailed curriculum vitae not exceeding 4 pages,
- Authenticated copies of previous degrees and official transcripts from previous university/college,
- Applicants wishing to pursue a PhD program should submit a concept note that is not exceeding 5 pages.
- A personal statement/motivation letter describing the candidate’s interest to join the program not exceeding 500 words,
- Applicants sponsored by their institutions are required to submit a sponsorship letter from their institution. (The form can be downloaded from www.aau.edu.et/?wpdmact=process&did=MTUuaG90bGluaw)
- Employed applicants must provide a letter of full commitment from their employers that they will be granted paid study leave.
- Three letters of recommendation from instructors/supervisors from previous educational institution, organizations.
- Certificate of professional experience if there is any,
- Cost-Sharing clearance documents for Ethiopian applicants.
*** Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
An electronic copy of the application documents in English and in a single PDF document shall be submitted to both of the following contacts:
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.