African Union Youth Envoy – Call for Applications 2021
The African Union Youth Envoy is looking for volunteers with various skills to work with the Office of Women, Gender and Youth – WGYD throughout a 1-year mandate. It welcomes young, passionate and creative people from across Africa and in the diaspora to apply.
Application Deadline: 5 October 2021 midnight (EAT)
Requisition ID: 723
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): Ethiopia
About African Union Youth Envoy: The call is open to all qualified African youth passionate about promoting youth engagement in achieving the “Africa we want”.
Acting on the guidance provided by Ministers of Youth, Culture, and Sport, H.E. Moussa Faki Mahamat, the Chairperson of the AUC, seeks to appoint the African Union Chairperson’s Special Envoy on Youth 2021 – 2023. The AU Youth Envoy’s role is to champion youth issues in Africa, which aligns with Aspiration 6 of Agenda 2063, which focuses on youth engagement and empowerment.
Type: Volunteer (Job)
Purpose of Job
The Youth Envoy will work under the guidance of the AUC Chairperson, through the Cabinet, in close collaboration with the Women, Gender and Youth Directorate (WGYD).
The Youth Envoy will work closely with the Women, Gender and Youth Directorate (WGYD) to
• Champion AU’s youth policies,
• Promote policy and partnership for youth engagement, and
• Mobilize political commitments on youth issues.
• Advocate for the development and implementation of AU youth development and engagement frameworks, policies, strategies and programmes
• Champion and promote best practices on youth development and engagement
• Consult and mobilize youth networks, to dialogue and engage in the development and implementation of AU Youth Frameworks
• Work closely with the Women, Gender and Youth Directorate to ensure alignment in content and priorities for youth Development and engagement the office of the Youth Envoy
• Represent African youth voices in AU policy processes
• Undertake additional tasks as requested by the AUC Chairperson
The AU Chairperson’s Youth Envoy will be responsible for the following functions, among others:
• To Champion AU’s Youth policies and priorities as articulated in the African Youth Charter, the Africa Plan of Action on Youth Empowerment (APAYE) Guided by Agenda 2063
• Work with key partners – including governments, academic institutions, media and civil society, financial institutions and the private and non-governmental sectors
• Facilitate multi-stakeholder partnerships in the implementation of the African Youth Charter, APAYE and other AU policies with a bearing on youth.
• To Promote regional, continental and global partnership to support youth engagement and bring youth into AUC policy dialogues and decision making processes
• Promote the systematic and meaningful engagement of African young people, including those from marginalized communities, in areas affected by conflict and humanitarian emergencies.
• Mainstream and promote the engagement of young people through other creative and non-traditional avenues including the use of social media.
• Play a key role in the organization of special youth events comprising among others; Africa Youth Day, International Youth Day, and Intergenerational Dialogues, mobilizing voices of youth in the planning, implementation and evaluation of these events, platforms and frameworks; and increase regional, continental and global awareness and attention to youth issues.
• Promote youth leadership at member state and continental levels including through advocacy for enhanced youth participation in the work of the AUC, with a special focus on the most marginalized and vulnerable youth.
• Advocate for expanded investments and resources for youth development and policies.
• Work with relevant AUC Departments to advocate and expand the space for youth in the work of the AUC, including the parity agenda on achieving 35% quotas for young people at the AUC.
• Work with the relevant AU Department to mobilize resources, according to the AU financial rules and regulations for programmes, related to her work.
• Prepare periodic work plan duly reviewed and approved by the CCP in collaboration with WGDY
• Work closely with the Cabinet of the Chairperson on any matters related to the area of involvement, as assigned by the respective authorities.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Candidates for African Union Youth Envoy must have Master’s degree in Development Studies or any related field with a Minimum progressive work experience of 3 years in public policy, public engagement, youth development, project management or related fields;
• Experience working on youth development issues
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
• Bachelor’s degree in Development Studies or any related field with a Minimum progressive work experience 5 years in public policy, public engagement, youth development, project management or related fields;
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Sound planning and organizational skills
• Creativity and drive to innovate
• Ability to negotiate diplomatically
• Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
Strategic Insight..Developing others…Change Management…Managing Risk…
Building Relationships…Foster Accountability Culture…Learning Orientation…Communicating with Influence…
Conceptual thinking…Job Knowledge Sharing…Drive for Results…Continuous improvement orientation…
Number of Awards: Due to a limited number of volunteer slots each time, those successfully selected will be contacted and added to our volunteer network on our online internal platform and they will be called upon when a new slot is open.
Value of African Union Youth Envoy: The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
- You will be able to do potential change-making work through the OYE
- You will improve your current skills and grow professionally by helping find solutions to specific areas you are involved in
- You will become part of and connect with an amazing network of like-minded young people from across Africa from various backgrounds with various skill sets
- Upon the successful completion of your full commitment, you will get a letter of recommendation form the OYE for your professional, self-development or educational use
Duration of Award: The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
How to Apply for African Union Youth Envoy:
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see link below) before applying
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.