ARPPIS-DAAD Scholarships 2020/2021 for PhD Scholars in African Countries
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) In-Country/In-Region Scholarships Programme and African university partners, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for PhD scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS).
Application Deadline: 31st January 2020
To be Taken at: Scholars conduct their innovative research at icipe’s laboratories and at field sites located in various agro-ecological zones.
About the Award: The primary objective of ARPPIS is to prepare young researchers from Africa to compete in an internationally competitive research environment within national, regional and international research programmes. At icipe ARPPIS scholars are provided with excellent research facilities in an interdisciplinary environment within a structured, three-year PhD programme that includes research, training, developing research partnerships, writing scientific papers and grant proposals, and attending scientific meetings and international conferences.
List of Projects: Six ARPPIS-DAAD PhD scholarships are available to nationals of sub-Saharan countries for the following projects: LIST OF PROJECTS
Eligibility: Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- A citizen of a country in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum pass of second-class, upper division.
- Master’s degree, with above average results, taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project (see LIST OF PROJECTS).
- Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Additional specific skills requirements may be required depending on the PhD project(s) selected by the candidate. For information on applicant requirements for each project see LIST OF PROJECTS.
- Good working knowledge of English (written & spoken).
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment.
- Completed application form and accompanying supporting documents.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply.
Number of Awards: Six ARPPIS-DAAD PhD scholarships are available.
Value of Award:
- The scholarships cover all costs of the PhD programme, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and all research and training costs.
- Successful candidates will develop a full proposal and register with an ARPPIS partner university in Africa after they start the PhD programme at icipe.
Duration of Award: 3 years. The ARPPIS PhD programme will commence from September 2020.
How to Apply:
- Full instructions and online application to icipe: LINK
- Additionally, once you submit your application to icipe, please send a brief email notification to DAAD stating that you have applied to icipe with the subject “Your Surname_First name_icipe” to [email protected]. Do not send your application to DAAD at this time.