IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program 2019 for Developing Countries
Thanks to a generous donation by all the winners of the Breakthrough Prizes in Mathematics the International Mathematical Union, with the assistance of FIMU and TWAS launched in 2016 a fellowship program to support postgraduate studies,in a developing country, leading to a PhD degree in the mathematical sciences.
Application Deadline: 31st May 2019 09:00 AM Central European Time (CET, Berlin).
Eligible Countries: Developing countries
To be taken at (country): Developing countries
About the Award: The IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowships offers a limited number of grants for excellent students from developing countries.
Conditions for the Nominator (Professional Mathematician)
- Professional mathematicians (including those who have superannuated, but continue to mentor young students). It is preferable that the nominator has been mentoring the nominee.
Conditions for the Nominee (Student)
- The student must be A) resident AND B) a citizen of a developing country which must be contained in the list above.
- The student must either
- A) be pre-accepted to join a doctoral program in the first academic year after the time of selection in a university or research institution which is based on a developing country from the list above. OR
- B) already be enrolled in a doctoral program in a university or research institution which is based on a developing country from the list above .
- There is no age limit for the student.
Nomination for women students is strongly encouraged.
Number of Awards: Limited
Value of Award: The fellowship can cover the entire period of the doctoral program up to four years of the student (nominee). The following costs up to a maximum of USD 10.000 per year can be covered by the grant.
- Full tuition fee
- Accommodation expenses
- Travel expenses to the host institution (if different from the home country)
- Basic living expenses that will depend on the cost of the living of the country in which the student will study his/ her doctoral program
Duration of Programme: 4 years
How to Apply: The nomination has to be filled out and submitted online by the nominator. The online nomination form can be found here.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying