US Government TechGirls Programme 2019 for Young Women in STEM (Fully-funded)
TechGirls connects and supports the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics by providing them access and opportunities to advance their skills and pursue their dreams.
Application Deadline: 1st February 2019 09:00PM EST
Eligible Countries: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia;
To be taken at (country): USA
About the Award: Since 2012, TechGirls trained and mentored 186 teenage girls (ages 15-17) from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, and Yemen. The core of the program is a three-week experience in the United States. In 2019, the program expands to include 24 young women from Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.)
TechGirls participate in an interactive technology and computer camp (with US Girls), join a tech company for a day of job shadowing, and participate in community service initiatives. There is a TechGirls multiplier effect – inspiring others in their local community to pursue Stem.
Eligibility: Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are from one of the following eligible countries:
- United States
- Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia;
- Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff or U.S. Department of State employees are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Housing during program
- Double occupancy hotel or dormitory accommodations
- Meals during program
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance