American College of Surgeons (ACS) Community Surgeons Travel Awards for Surgeons in Developing Countries 2019
The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) is pleased to announce travel awards for surgeons aged 30 to 50.
Application Deadline: 1st July 2019
Eligible Countries: Developing countries
To be taken at (country): Chicago, IL, USA
About the Award: These awards, in the amount of $4,000 each, provide international surgeons with the opportunity to attend and participate fully in the educational activities of the ACS annual Clinical Congress. They are proposed to specifically assist surgeons who work in community or regional hospitals or clinics in countries other than the United States and Canada, or who are from poorly resourced academic departments of surgery in poorly resourced countries.
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine who have completed their surgical training.
- Applicants must be at least 30 years old, but under 50, on the date that the complete application is filed.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must show evidence of commitment to high quality surgery, to surgical teaching, and to improving access to surgical care in their community.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be submitted in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in the U.S. or Canada.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three (3) of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold a clinical or academic appointment or from a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in their country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter is to directly address the applicant’s commitment to high quality surgery, surgical teaching, and improving access to surgical care locally. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by the persons making the recommendations.
- The Community Surgeon Travel Awards must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
- Awardees are expected to provide a written report upon their return home, specifically focusing on the value of the visit to the awardee and the potential beneficial effect to patients in the country of origin.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a new application together with new supporting documentation.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Each awardee will receive gratis registration to the annual Clinical Congress and to one available postgraduate course held during the Clinical Congress. Assistance will be provided to obtain preferential housing in an economical hotel in the Clinical Congress city.
Duration of Programme: 4th–8th October 2020
How to Apply: All applications for the year 2019 and all of the supporting documentation must be received online no later than July 1, 2019, in order for an applicant to receive consideration by the selection committee. All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in November 2019. Applicants are urged to submit their completed applications and supporting documents as early as possible in order to provide sufficient time for processing.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Studying in South Africa Vs UK - Which is better? Study Abroad Comparison
Studying in UK Vs Italy Which Is Better? Study Abroad Comparison
Is It Too Late To Change Career at 27?