TechCongress Congressional Innovation Fellowship (for Talented Tech Individuals to work in US Congress) 2019
TechCongress brings diverse tech talent, ideas and training to Congress and to build a practical and pragmatic understanding of Washington within the tech community.
Application Deadline: 9th September, 2018 at 11:59pm EST.
Eligible Countries: International
To Be Taken At (Country): USA
About the Award: The fellowship is a twelve-month residency on Capitol Hill, running from January to December, with an optional 13th month the following January. Fellows work directly for a Member of Congress or Congressional Committee for the duration of their residency and may spend their time on technology-related issues like emerging technologies, AI and automation, election security, data privacy, encryption, cybersecurity or defense technology policy. Typical duties may include:
- Briefing Members and staff about technology issues
- Researching legislation
- Preparing for hearings or markups
- Meeting with stakeholder groups and building coalitions
Eligibility: Citizenship is not a requirement to apply. TechCongress is unable to assist with visa applications or renewals but anyone legally authorized to work in the United States through the duration of the fellowship and holding a US bank account is eligible to apply.
- Have experience working in or with technology, and the ability to convey complex technical subjects to less-technically savvy individuals.
- Have some professional experience or be enrolled in or near completion of a graduate level program.
- Have a strong desire help build the Congressional Innovations Fellows program. As part of the 2019 class, fellows should expect to give ongoing feedback about fellowship activities, rapidly prototype and help build the pipeline for technological expertise into Congress.
Selection Criteria: Fellows are selected by an independent selections board using criteria that includes:
- Potential for leadership in technology policy
- Professional achievements and technical ability.
- Commitment to building a diverse and cross-sector technology policy ecosystem.
- Potential for future growth and career advancement.
- Interpersonal, communication and “tech-translation” skills.
- Individual plans for incorporating the fellowship experience into specific career goals.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The Congressional Innovation Fellowship provides a unique opportunity to change Congress by injecting desperately needed technological expertise into the Legislative Branch. Fellows receive competitive stipend and benefits during their nine month residency to ensure that they can achieve maximum impact.
- $80,000/year equivalent stipend
- Health insurance supplement of up to $400/month*
- Relocation allowance of up to $2,500
- Equipment or travel allowance of up to $2,500
Duration of Programme: 12-13 months starting January 8, 2019
How to Apply:
Award Providers: TechCongress