Shelter City Fellowship Programme 2019 for Human Rights Defenders (Fully-funded to The Hague, Netherlands)
Justice and Peace Netherlands and T.M.C. Asser Institute are launching a new call for applications for the 2019 Fellowship Programme for Human Rights Defenders.
Application Deadline: 31st May 2019
Eligible Countries: All
To Be Taken At (Country): The Hague, Netherlands.
About the Award: Shelter City is an initiative by Justice and Peace Netherlands that aims to protect and support human rights defenders at risk through temporary relocation and security training. As part of the Shelter City initiative, Justice and Peace Netherlands has established a Fellowship Programme for Human Rights Defenders in The Hague, in collaboration with the T.M.C. Asser Institute. The T.M.C. Asser Institute is an internationally renowned foundation which conducts fundamental and independent policy-orientated research. The institute focuses on public international law, private international law and European law.
Type: Fellowship (Professional)
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for the Fellowship Programme for Human Rights Defenders, the applicant must meet the following conditions:
- The applicant must be a human rights defender. His/her work promotes Human Rights or he/she fights against Human Rights Violations in a non-violent way;
- The HRD has a relevant degree in (international human rights) law and a few years of relevant experience in human rights law work, either in practice or in academia.
- The HRD is threatened or otherwise under intense pressure due to their work and can benefit from a short period of time abroad;
- The HRD has a proven track record on conducting research activities and work in (applied) human rights law research;
- The HRD is willing to carry out a research project that aims to contribute to the improvement of human rights and is able to carry this out independently in the relocation period of 3 months;
- Since this is a temporary relocation programme, the HRD is able and willing to return to the country of origin after 3 months;
- The HRD has a good command of English (professional working proficiency – both active and passive);
- The HRD is willing to speak out in public and take part in (relevant) research activities of the Asser Institute;
- The HRD should be willing/able to come alone;
- The HRD is willing to come to The Netherlands around September 2019 for a period of 3 months.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award:
- The fellow will carry out a research project during the relocation period and take part in other relevant research activities of the Asser Institute.
- In line with these activities the Fellow might also perform in public events like lectures or (panel) discussions.
- A monthly stipend, accommodation, health insurance, visa and flight tickets to The Netherlands are provided.
Duration of Programme: September to December 2019
How to Apply:
- To apply, please download the application form here: Application Form – Fellowship Programme 2019 or you can request the application form to apply for the programme by emailing [email protected]
- Applications forms must be returned to [email protected] before 31 May 2019.
Award Providers: Justice and Peace Netherlands, T.M.C. Asser Institute.