Universität Hamburg Degree Completion Grants 2020 for International Students
Universität Hamburg supports its international students on their way to the successful completion of their degrees with degree completion grants.
- 1st June 2020 (for period of funding from 1 July–31 December)
- 1st December 2020 (for period of funding from 1 January–30 June)
Eligible Countries: International
To Be Taken At (Country): Germany
Eligibility: Persons entitled to funding are students who:
- are not German citizens;
- are not eligible for BAföG (federal student loan scheme);
- are preparing for or are in the final examination phase of their studies;
- have no financial support during this phase (proof required).
International students studying fee-based degree programs are eligible for this grant in exceptional cases, but they will not have priority in the selection procedure.
Selection Criteria: Selection is based upon financial need.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value and Duration of Award: As a rule, the funding period for degree completion grant is 6 months. The maximum amount of funding is €720 per month. The amount of each grant is calculated according to the criteria stipulated in the German federal training assistance act (Bundesgesetz über individuelle Förderung der Ausbildung, BAföG).
If the final examination is not completed within the 6-month period, an extension may be requested. The maximum funding period is 12 months.
How to Apply: For the relevant application periods, please use the corresponding application link and log yourself in using your STiNE ID (detailed instructions on applying online are available here (PDF)):
Application deadlines 1 June/1 December
Online applications require the following documents:
- reason for your application
- schedule detailing all steps leading to your final examination
- an evaluation from the supervisor of your final thesis
You must upload these documents to the online application portal.
Important Notes: Universität Hamburg recommends you come to an individual advising session before you submit your online application.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
5 Signs You Are Living Above Your Means
10 Warning Signs You Need to Change Career
7 Lessons from the 2020 Pandemic and Economic Threat