MasterCard Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE) Bursaries 2019/2020 for Women
FAWE Uganda is pleased to announce the availability of bursaries to support both undergraduate and diploma studies in the academic year 2019/2020.
Application Deadline: 14th June 2019
Eligible Countries: Uganda
To Be Taken At (Country): Uganda
Watch Tutorial: How to Apply to Win the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
About the Award: The Forum for African Women Educationalists Regional Secretariat (FAWE RS) with support from the Mastercard Foundation, is implementing through FAWE Uganda Chapter an eight-year (2016—2024) Higher Education Access Program targeting 300 youth (70% female and 30% male) from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and regions of Eastern, Northern and Western Uganda. The overall goal of the program is to enable a total of 300 young women and men from the disadvantaged regions of Uganda to access, transition through higher education and secure employment in sectors that contribute to the development of their home communities.
This will be achieved through two (2) specific student-focused objectives:
- To provide bursaries to 300 bright students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds in Eastern, Northern and Western Uganda to access and complete higher education; and,
- To provide academic and psycho-social support and facilitate pathways for the students to internships, industrial practice and employment.
The bursaries come with comprehensive financial, academic and social support to participants for the entire duration of their studies. The bursary support is available to those who meet the eligibility criteria below.
Type: Undergraduate, Postgraduate
- The applicant must be aged between 18 and 25 years;
- The applicant must have sat his/her advanced level (S.6) examinations in 2018;
- The applicant must be applying for direct entry into the partner institutions of learning for the academic year 2019/2020;
- The applicant must have been born in and be a resident of any of the 13 programme districts of Bukwo, Buyende, Katakwi, Mayuge, Buliisa, Bundibugyo, Kanungu, Ntoroko, Adjumani, Amudat, Amuru, Kaabong and Pader.
- The applicant must have attended Ordinary or Advanced Level Education in any of the 13 programme districts;
- Applicants who sat their Advanced Level Education (S6) examinations in schools outside their districts of birth but within the specific regions of Eastern, Northern and Western Uganda qualify to apply for the bursaries;
- The applicant must be qualified for admission into the following programme areas of study: Agricultural Sciences, Medical and Health Sciences and Education courses (Science and Literature, degree only);
- The applicant must not be a current beneficiary of any other bursary scheme or scholarship;
- Other vulnerability aspects to be considered include: young people living with disability, HIV/AIDS– infected or affected, orphaned (total or partial).
- The Applicant must be willing to give back to his/her community through development services.
Note: Female applicants from the 13 districts are highly encouraged to apply
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value and Duration of Award: The bursaries come with comprehensive financial, academic and social support to participants for the entire duration of their studies.
How to Apply:
- Application forms will be available at NO cost at the offices of the Academic Registrars of the partner institutions of Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Gulu University, Busitema University, Jinja School of Nursing and Midwifery and Medical Laboratory Training School in Jinja.
- Application forms can also be found at the District Education Offices in the 13 Program districts above and FAWE Uganda Office plot 328, Bukoto – Kisasi Road, P.O. Box 24117 Kampala, Uganda or downloaded from the website through the link below: www.faweuganda.org.
- Submit a fully filled-in application form to the office of the District Education Officer (DEO), any of the partner institutions or to FAWE Uganda Office.
- The deadline for applications is 14th June 2019, after which no applications will be accepted.