Paradigm Initiative Digital Rights and Inclusion Media Fellowship 2020
The application process is now open for the third edition of the Paradigm Initiative Digital Rights and Inclusion Media Fellowship.
Application Deadline: 15th February 2020
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Nigeria
About the Award: The Fellowship is a 5-month program designed to immerse outstanding, early career, journalists in digital rights and digital inclusion advocacy – and intervention efforts – in Africa. Selected journalists will work with Paradigm Initiative on various projects and contribute to improving public understanding of digital rights and inclusion issues.
Type: Fellowship (Professional)
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Paradigm Initiative Digital Rights and Inclusion Media Fellowship:
- The Fellowship is open to journalists affiliated with mainstream print and online newspapers in Africa
- We are especially interested in women journalists
- Interested candidates must demonstrate previous coverage of human rights and/or tech issues and interest in advocacy journalism
- Interested candidates must not have spent more than ten years in journalism. We are most interested in outstanding, early career journalists
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Fully-funded trip to attend the Digital Rights and Inclusion Forum (DRIF) in Abuja, Nigeria, in April 2020.
- Digital Rights / Inclusion training at the Paradigm Initiative headquarters in Lagos (Nigeria), in addition to communication with team members from other offices in Africa.
- Fully-funded 2-week residency program to visit Paradigm Initiative offices in Nigeria (Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Aba).
- 4-month virtual training and collaboration with Paradigm Initiative and partners.
- Fellowship may also include fully-funded local and international travels to participate in and cover relevant events related to Digital Rights and Inclusion.
- Interaction with leading stakeholders in digital rights advocacy.
- Paradigm Initiative will provide fellows with a monthly stipend, and a one-time research grant, during the fellowship period.
- Fellows will be expected to participate in all scheduled activities.
- Fellows will be expected to publish, in their affiliated media (Print, TV, Radio, Online), at least 15 reports on digital rights and inclusion issues during the fellowship period. Fellows will retain full editorial direction on the stories.
- Fellows will be expected to continue to provide coverage to digital rights and inclusion issues after their fellowship.
Duration of Programme: 5-month programme (Fellowship will run from April 2020 to August 2020)
How to Apply: Fill the application FORM before 15th February 2020.
Award Providers: Paradigm Initiative