CDT-Africa Masters in Clinical Trials Fellowship for African Students 2019
As part of its commitment to support regional capacity for therapeutic development, the CDT-Africa has developed a Master’s program in Clinical Trials. This MSc program was developed after a needs assessment, which combines extensive need for the program, and following standard procedures.
Application Deadline: 15th May 2019
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
About the Award: The Centre for Innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa (CDT-Africa) is a
World Bank supported centre of excellence for education and research at the College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The main aim of CDT-Africa is to serve as a platform for equitable access to interventions (medications, vaccines, diagnostics and complex interventions) and bring about sustainable development in Africa through high-quality capacity development for innovative therapeutic discovery.
The MSc program is designed to meet the highest international standards of training in Clinical Trials. It has a total duration of 18 months and 96 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) consisting of 59 ECTS general and specialized subject area modules, 2 ECTS seminar works, 5 ECTS attachments, and 30 ECTS MSc research project works.
Type: Masters, Fellowship (Academic)
- A candidate must have a Bachelor Degree in healthcare or life sciences, such as pharmacy, public health, nursing, biology, doctorate degree in medicine or equivalent, doctor of dental medicine, and doctor of veterinary medicine. Those with Bachelor of Statistics are also eligible.
- Others with additional qualifications with or without Bachelor Degree in the life sciences may be eligible if relevant further qualifications are obtained. Examples of such qualifications are public health, MSc in pharmacy, MSc in pharmacology, MSc in statistics, and doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD).
- As this is a needs based program, it is desirable for applicants to have one or two years of service after last graduation with relevant program to have the exposure to real-life challenges prior to joining the program.
- A candidate who satisfies the above admission requirements will be required to take and pass oral examination.
- Applicants from government institutions may need to submit a sponsorship letter from their employing institution once they are shortlisted and succeeded the oral examination
- Applicants need to meet also the general requirements laid down by the School of Graduate Studies, Addis Ababa University.
Although all institutions within Africa are eligible to apply for the program, priority is given to the following institutions that are active national and regional partners of CDT Africa:
- Ethiopian government universities: Addis Ababa University, Bahir Dar University, Debre Tabor University, Jimma University, Mekelle University, University of Gondar
- Ethiopian government institutions: Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI), Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI), Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health, Ethiopian Food, Medicines and Health care administration and Control Authority (EFMHACA).
- Regional Universities: Makerere University (Uganda), Mbarara University (Uganda), Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (Tanzania), University of Malawi (Malawi), and University of Zambia (Zambia).
- National for-profit companies: Ethiopian Pharmaceuticals Manufacturing Factory (EPHARM), Addis Pharmaceutical Factory, Novartis – Ethiopia
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- The Center will pay for any required registration fee and tuition fee
- The Center will have a modest funding to support research projects of all students
- Any student coming from countries outside Ethiopia will have a dormitory within Addis Ababa University and a net stipend of 10, 000 Ethiopian birr.
- Other national students are required to have sponsorship from their institutions.
Duration of Programme: 18 months. Class will start by September 2018.
How to Apply:
- Application document (CV, official transcript, copies of degrees, motivation letter) must be submitted in electronic copy via email to Dr Tsegahun Manyazewal (email: [email protected]) copying Ms Samrawit Ketema (email:
- The motivation letter should describe how the applicant meets the requirements for the MSc study and why he/she wants to engage in the program.
- Shortlisted national applicants will be interviewed at the CDT-Africa office in Addis Ababa, while shortlisted international applicants will be interviewed remotely through Skype or other means.
- Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
Award Providers: CDT-Africa
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Is It Too Late To Change Career at 27?
Top 10 Canadian University to Study Medicine
25 Things You Did Not Know About Studying In India