Australian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM) International Scholarships 2019 for Developing Countries
Nominations are now open for the College’s International Scholarship. The scholarship supports the attendance and presentation of doctors and other health professionals from developing countries at the ACEM ASM.
Application Deadline: 5th May 2019
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Australia
About the Award: The ACEM scholarship is to support attendance and presentation at the ACEM Annual Scientific Meeting and to increase awareness and support for emergency medicine in developing countries.
The International Scholarship aims to increase awareness and support for emergency medicine in developing countries. By nomination of a FACEM or trainee, the scholarship is designed to help increase the recipient’s skills and understanding of emergency medicine systems and standards throughout Australia and New Zealand.
Type: Short Course/Training
Eligibility: To be eligible to submit a nomination the nominator:
- Must either be a Fellow or trainee of ACEM in good standing of the College
- Have developed linkages with the nominee through previous international emergency medicine development activities in the nominee’s country
- Willing to accept responsibility for arranging a suitable program for the nominee (in liaison with the International Emergency Medicine Committee Administrator)
- Attend both the ACEM College Ceremony and ASM as a personal host of the nominee.
To be eligible for nomination the nominee must fulfil the following criteria:
- A doctor or other health professional from developing countries
- An actual or potential leader in the development of emergency medicine in their country
- Secured a committed sponsor who will host them and arrange their program
- Present on the challenges and opportunities relating to the development of emergency medicine in their country at the ACEM Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM) in the relevant year
- Give permission for ACEM to use their ASM presentation, and personal and professional information, including a photograph, for the purposes of publishing in the ASM program and other promotional material
- Is able to apply for his/her visa to travel to Australia/New Zealand prior to 31 July in the year of the application.
Selection Criteria: A Panel from the International Emergency Medicine Committee reviews applications and the ACEM Foundation awards the scholarship, all based on the following criteria:
- Present at the Annual Scientific Meeting
- Actual or potential leadership capacity in emergency medicine in the nominee’s country
- Engagement in an area of work that would benefit from the opportunities and learning experiences at the ASM
- Explanation of the value of the scholarship for the nominee, their environment and their country
- Well-established relationships with FACEMs and is from a country with strong linkages with Fellows of the College
- Have a reference from a Fellow or trainee of ACEM.
- Scope for the FACEM sponsor (or other FACEMs) to support the development of emergency medicine in the nominee’s country
- Fom region which is a priority for the College
- Desn’t have significant support from other sources
- No previous record of attendance at any major emergency medicine conference(s).
Number of Awards: Up to six each financial year.
Value of Award:
- AUD$8,000 per recipient, with a maximum of AUD$50,000.
- The scholarship is to be used to cover the return economy-class airfares, visa, accommodation, travel and living expenses while the recipient(s) are in Australia or New Zealand.
- The Scholarship may include visiting emergency departments within Australia and New Zealand to help increase the scholarship recipients skills and understanding of emergency medicine systems and standards throughout Australasia.
- The recipients are presented with a certificate of the scholarship at the College Ceremony held in November every year.
- Responsible for arranging a suitable program for the scholar (in liaison with the International Emergency Medicine Committee Administrator)
- Provide a report detailing the scholar’s experience to the ACEM Foundation by 1 February of the year following the scholarship.
Duration of Program: The expected length of stay is seven (7) days.
How to Apply: If the nominator and nominee meet the selection criteria above.
- Read the full terms and conditions
- Complete the application form by 5th May and provide necessary document
- Email the application to ACEM.
Award Providers: Australian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM)