LSHTM/Commonwealth Shared Scholarships for Students from Developing Commonwealth Countries 2018/2019
This year, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is offering five awards under the CSSS ‘Strengthening health systems and capacity’ theme. These awards are for MSc Public Health for Eye Care programme.
Application Deadline: 17th April 2018.
Eligible Countries: Bangladesh, Cameroon, Ghana, Guyana, India, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Samoa, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuata, Zambia
To Be Taken At (Country): UK
About the Award: Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are intended to enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development. The purpose of the scholarship scheme is to contribute to development needs of lower income Commonwealth countries by providing training for skilled and qualified professionals and academics who would not otherwise be able to study in the UK.
Eligibility: Applicants must
- be a citizen of or be granted refugee status from an eligible Commonwealth country above, or be a British Protected Person, and
- be permanently and continually resident in an eligible Commonwealth country*, and
- hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) standard, or a lower second class level plus a Master’s degree **, and
- be sufficiently fluent in English to pursue their proposed course of study and meet the School’s English language proficiency requirements at the time of application, and
- not have studied for one academic year or more in a high income (developed) country, and
- not have worked for one year or more in a high income (developed) country, and
- confirm in writing (via EAS application) that neither they nor their families would otherwise be able to pay for study in the UK, and
- confirm in writing (via EAS application) that they will return to their home country within one month of the end of the end of their award.
Number of Awards: 5
Value of Award: Each scholarship award will provide:
- MSc Public Health for Eye Care tuition fees (at the overseas fee rate)
- GBP 1,306.00 monthly maintenance stipend
- GBP 414.00 warm clothing allowance
- CSCUK-approved airfare from the student’s home country to the United Kingdom, and return home at the end of the award
- Tuberculosis test fees (when required by UK Visas & Immigration)
- Study-related costs grant
- Excess baggage allowance for return home
How to Apply: To apply for this funding, applicants must
- submit a complete application for study for 2018-19 MSc Public Health for Eye Care, and
- submit a complete CSSS application for funding via the CSCUK’s Electronic Application System (EAS) (The EAS will be open for CSSS application between 23 Feb 2018 and 17 April 2018.)
before the funding deadline of 17 April 2018.
Award Providers: These scholarships are jointly funded by Commonwealth Scholarship Commission UK (CSCUK), funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), and the School.