United Nations Teen Advisors Program for Young Girls around the World 2018
The United Nations Foundation is looking for passionate female change-makers from all around the world for the Girl Up Teen Advisor program.
Application Deadline: 12th February 2018
Eligible Countries: All
About the Award: The Teen Advisor program is where Girl Up truly lives out its “by girls, for girls” mission. Composed of a widely diverse group of teenage girls, Teen Advisors are passionate change-makers who together spread and fuel Girl Up’s work. As Teen Advisors, they are central to all Girl Up decision-making including advocacy, fundraising and communications strategy. To support the Teen Advisors in this task, Girl Up provides skills-based trainings, professional development opportunities, hands-on learning, and most significantly, personal relationships with the staff.
Since the first Teen Advisor class served the 2010-2011 school year, these seven classes collectively have raised, 117 Teen Advisors have collectively raised nearly $500,000, completed more than 7,000 hours of service, hosted hundreds of events in their communities around the world and performed nearly 500 advocacy actions – including in-district meetings and countless letters and calls to congress.
Teen Advisor Responsibilities include:
- Attend and actively participate in and prepare for monthly calls/webinars (scheduled for the second Sunday of every month)
- Attend two mandatory in-person meetings — one preceding the annual Leadership Summit in Washington D.C. (mid-July), the other in January or February of the following year (for those U.S. applicants, the weekend generally follows either MLK….”
- Start and/or lead a Girl Up Club in your school or surrounding community
- Regularly contribute to the Girl Up Community, an online hub for Girl Up Clubs and Campuses
- Represent Girl Up in the media and at events in their communities
Eligibility: Applications are open to self-identified girls from the U.S and outside the U.S. Applicants:
- Must be entering the U.S. equivalent of 9th-12th grades
- Display a sense of maturity, cultural-sensitivity, and openness to learning about different cultures
- Be committed to the empowerment of girls and women
- Possess strong leadership skills and have proven desire to become a globally-minded citizen through meaningful discussion, learning and action in their community and school
- Have knowledge of and passion for Girl Up’s mission and vision for adolescent girls around the world
- Be able to complete all Teen Advisor responsibilities as outlined below
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Access to United Nations speakers, agencies and initiatives
- Access and financial support to attend speaking and blogging opportunities for special events and conferences like the Social Good Summit and International Day of the Girl
- Intensive skills-based trainings, professional development opportunities, hands-on learning
- An insider’s view into Girl Up through constant communication with staff, and most significantly, personal relationships
- Decision-making power in the work of the campaign
Duration of Program: Program starts June 1 2018. Runs for 1 year
How to Apply: Every January, Girl Up opens the first round of applications to teen girls who are ready and excited to change the world. Girl Up selects girls from the first round and invites them to complete the full second round application. Girl Up reviews those applications and notifies the new class of Teen Advisors in mid-April. Teen Advisors serve for one year beginning June 1.
Award Providers: United Nations Foundation.