Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) Masters Scholarships at IHE Delft 2018 – The Netherlands
Fifteen top talents will be admitted to the first edition of the MSc in Sanitation (academic cohort 2018-2019) and will receive a scholarship.
Application Deadline: 15th November 2017 (23.59 CET).
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All. Countries in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africawill be given priority.
To Be Taken At (Country): The Netherlands
About the Award: In partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), IHE Delft Institute for Water Education (IHE Delft) has launched a new Master of Science Programme in Sanitation. It is a unique, internationally recognized programme, designed for completion in 12 months.
The programme with scholarships available for top talents, is based at IHE Delft in the Netherlands, with thesis work abroad, while, in the near future, the programme will also be available at universities in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
The state-of-the-art content was developed and provided by the world’s top experts from both academia and practice. This demand-driven and practice orientated programme will yield graduates with fundamental understanding and knowledge, as well as the skills necessary for creating impact.
- The programme is dedicated to targeting needs and delivering specialists in a short time, with the necessary qualifications. It aims to attract talented and ambitious young and mid-career sanitation professionals, working in water supply and sewerage companies, municipal assemblies, government ministries, NGOs and consulting firms.
- Ideally these individuals are dealing with urban and peri-urban sanitation, especially in informal settlements.
- Participants should have a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in sanitary, civil, chemical, agricultural, environmental engineering, chemistry, ecology, biology, natural science, environmental science, agriculture, environmental economics.
- Candidates who do not have a degree in the relevant field, but do have various years of work experience in the field of sanitation can also apply.
- Given the global mission of IHE Delft, regional relevance of partner universities, and the close cooperation with the BMGF and its focus on professionals from South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa, the new programme encourages people from those regions to apply, without excluding applicants from Latin America, North America and Europe.
- Women, irrespective of their geographical location, are encouraged to apply.
Selection Criteria: While being at MSc level, the programme has a professional orientation. It is demand-driven, delivering graduates with the qualifications required by the sanitation sector. These areas will be prominent in the programme:
- the linking of the taught subject matter, not only to research outcomes, but also to sanitation practice;
- the nature of the individual research topics of the students;
- the embedding of the development of generic professional skills in the programme.
As a result, graduates will possess both the fundamental understanding, as well as the knowledge and skills necessary, to create professional impact ‘on the ground’.
Number of Awards: 15
Value of Award:
- The scholarship covers: tuition fee; direct study related cost; insurance; visa cost; monthly allowance for living and accommodation; research allowance, international travel. Visa and accommodation will be arranged by IHE Delft.
- In the subsequent editions, starting from the class 2019-2020, the programme will be open to more students (up to 50) and funding beyond scholarships provided by the BMGF will be necessary.
Duration of Program: 1 year
Award Providers: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, IHE Delft.